Improve your wellbeing with fun and insightful talk with WellWVU's Courtney Weaver! In this sneak peek to her new weekly podcast, you'll find out about WellWVU's mission of student wellness education at West Virginia University, and get to know more about the folks doing work on the ground at the university. Each week, Courtney will talk to guests and have some light-hearted fun looking at wellbeing in popular culture and health issues in and around campus.

Welcome to the sneak preview of the podcast Wellbeing Wednesdays, brought to you by the office of Student Wellness and the division of Student Life. And I promise you it won't be as boring as that sounds. My name is Courtney and I'll be your host in this new adventure where we'll explore the concept of wellbeing, not just here at WVU.

[00:00:21] But around the world, we'll be bringing you scientific facts, relevant experts, and just a dash of good humor. And let's be honest, probably a pinch of sarcasm because I'm the host and that's how I roll and bear with me because nowadays my podcast listening is limited to true crime and it's not that kind of show.

[00:00:38] So on the weeks where I don't have a guest, I will likely ramble on about one health topic or another. But I promise I will work hard to make it interesting. So, I apologize in advance. So, to get started, how many of you listeners even knew that WVU had an office of student wellness? Well, it's true. We've got one, but technically speaking, I wouldn't call it an office.

[00:00:59] It's more of a group, and it's comprised of four different departments on campus. We have collegiate recovery, campus recreation, adventure, West Virginia, and well WVU. So, the collegiate recovery program supports students in recovery by promoting a healthy, balanced, and meaningful life on campus. They provide supports and resources necessary for students to thrive in their recovery and develop meaning and purpose as they move forward in life.

[00:01:21] So they're actually housed in serenity place, which is here on the downtown campus on price street. And actually, it's just around the corner from where I am currently recording this podcast. If you haven't checked out the house, I encourage you to do so. It's a chill and friendly atmosphere and they do daily activities that are open to everyone.

[00:01:36] So they host yoga, meditation, music therapy, tutoring, sober tailgates, and hiking trips. In addition to recovery support services like alcoholics anonymous, and you can find a schedule of events on their website. Now give us, our aggregation is on the Evans Dale campus. And I think it's fair to say that most folks think of campus rec as the gym on campus.

[00:01:56] And to an extent that is true. They've got 17,000 square feet of weight and fitness equipment, but the programs that campus rec offers extend far beyond those of a typical fitness center. So not only do they offer personal training services and dozens of fitness classes every week, they host intramural and club sports youth programs.

[00:02:14] They have a full aquatic facility, a craft center, and the mountain, your kids zone. Uh, I'd like to highlight the craft center actually because a lot of folks don't know about it. It's located in the basement of Braxton tower, also on the Evansville campus students, faculty, staff, alumni, and retirees are welcome.

[00:02:29] So they do crafts, like pottery, stained glass, tie dye, beadwork, and sewing. There are some costs associated with it to cover the materials, but I think this is such a green fund resource for folks because creative outlets are great for stress management. Next, we have adventure West Virginia. Which coincidentally is also housed on the Evansville campus in the student recreation center.

[00:02:48] Adventure has a widely known first year trips program, which take place the summer before a student's first year on campus, but they also offer day trips like ski shuttles during the winter months or a trip to an indoor bike park, and they offer break trips like over winter break and spring break. They also have a trips program that's aimed at second year students called the sophomore outdoor adventure, reorientation or soar.

[00:03:11] These trips allow rising sophomores to distress and reflect on their first year at the university. Now the trips do come at a cost, but it's much lower than if you were to plan something like this independently. And it's also a great way to connect with other students and staff at the university.

[00:03:25] Adventure is also an employment opportunity. So, first year trips are all led by fellow students and what a cool job to have had as a student, at least in my opinion. An adventure also manages the outdoor education center, which has both a high ropes and low ropes course, and it's great for team building activities for clubs and orgs, and they also manage a gear rental program and the climbing wall.

[00:03:45] Seriously, they do so much, and I have a feeling that there'll be about nine episodes of this podcast. Dedicated to this department. Actually, our first one will be dedicated to that department and the final office as well. WVU is actually the office that I work for, which is why I saved it for last. Uh, and while the review is also over on the Evansville campus, but you'll find us in a lot of different residence halls and down in the mountain layer, our main job is health promotion and education.

[00:04:10] And we'd love to talk to you about responsible substance use, stress management, and sexual health. We're known for our health communication campaigns that you'll see around campus and for our condom caravan where we provide very low cost, safer sex supplies, but we also provide workshops to student orgs and academic classes.

[00:04:25] In addition to hosting large scale events like our twice-yearly chill Fest or our sexual health fair, we work hard to help students succeed and encourage them to make healthy, responsible choices, and not just here at WVU, but after they graduate. So, we'll learn more about each of these departments as rerecord more episodes of this podcast and buy more.

[00:04:42] You'll probably be. Enough about campus rec already, uh, by the time we're finished, which will be never, and if that doesn't motivate you to keep listening that I don't know what will, I'm just kidding. That's gonna be fun. So, thanks for tuning in today, and I hope to catch you next time on Wellbeing Wednesdays at WVU.