You are the owner of this page.

Terms of Service

Welcome to www.thedaonline.com. As part of our service, The Daily Athenaeum agrees to provide you with information and other computer services subject to the terms of this Terms of Service Agreement. Upon notice published through the service, The Daily Athenaeum may amend or modify these Terms of Service at any time. Use of this site signifies your agreement to the Terms of Service.

Policies

Corrections and Clarifications

The Daily Athenaeum is committed to accuracy.

As a student-run organization, The DA is a learning laboratory where students are charged with the same responsibilities as professional reporters, editors, photographers, production, delivery and sales staff.  We encourage our readers and the West Virginia University community to let us know when they believe we have fallen short.

The DA will promptly research and determine whether a correction or clarification is appropriate. If so, the correction will appear in the same media (print or online) the error appear. Corrections will be appended to all archived content.

To report an error, email the editor-in-chief at da-editor@mail.wvu.edu

The email should include:
1) the name of the written work, 2) its author, 3) the date of publication, 4) a hyperlink to the online version, 5) the factual error in question and 6) any supporting documents.

The editor and or the managing editor will respond to any notification of an error within three publication days. The DA leadership will discuss the error with the staff member responsible for the content and make a determination.

Major vs. minor errors A major error is any factual error that changes the meaning of the story. Major errors include plagiarism and fabrication as well as getting large chunks of information wrong. Any article with more than three major errors will be redacted. Depending on the amount of article that is factually incorrect, an article may also be redacted. If an article is redacted or the major error is at all offensive, the editor-in-chief will write a letter from the editor discussing the error and apologizing for its occurrence. A minor error is any factual error that does not change the meaning of a story but may make parts of the story unclear for the reader. Minor errors include name misspellings or small factual errors such as getting a year wrong.

Editors may make changes post publication for grammatical, AP style and spelling errors without issuing a correction. Spelling errors do not include names. Editors can add links to articles without issuing a correction.

Clarifications For additional statements that would increase reader understanding a clarification may be issued instead of a correction. It is up to the editor-in-chief to decide if a clarification should be issued instead of a correction. If a clarification is used, “Clarification appended.” should be included at the top of the online version of the article in bold. If clarifications and corrections are used, “Clarification and corrections appended.” should be included in bold at the top of the article. The two categories should be defined at the bottom of the article by listing either clarification or correction before the wording.

The DA Takedown Policy

The DA is the student newspaper of record for West Virginia University and is editorially independent from the University.
The DA’s mission is to serve as a historical record of the news and events of the West Virginia University community. Therefore, the DA generally does not remove the DA’s created content from its website (www.theDAonline.com), including its online archives. In case of a factual error, the DA’s created content will be corrected and updated with an editor’s note, but not removed.

If you feel there is a factual error regarding an article, column, photo or other material  created by the Da please submit your formal request to the below address, including with your request:
1) the name of the written work, 2) its author, 3) the date of publication, 4) a hyperlink to the online version, 5)any supporting documents.
Requests should be submitted to danewsroom@thedaonline.com.

Posting Comments, News, and other user submitted content

In order to facilitate fair, focused and intelligent discussion of the issues that concern the West Virginia University community, The Daily Athenaeum requires that all participants adhere to the following forum rules. All user feedback will be posted immediately upon submission and will be monitored by the user community. Forum participants are encouraged to report any feedback that does not comply with the rules. Although the DA reserves the right to remove posts and/or block users if these rules are violated, the staff will not be actively involved in an approval or review process. These terms of use may be modified at any time without notice, and such modifications shall be effective immediately.

All letters to the editor, whether submitted to the online edition or the print edition, and all online story feedback become the property of Daily Athenaeum and may be used in print editions and online editions of the Daily Athenaeum. The DA archives all of its content, which is accessible to readers at any time. Anonymous letters will not be accepted. Names may be withheld for good cause upon request at the sole discretion of The DA. Letters may be edited for style, space, clarity and accuracy.

In submitting feedback, you are representing and agreeing that:

• You are the author of the submission. You agree to use your full name and not to use a pseudonym. Submissions found to be submitted under a false name will be removed and the associated account will be deleted.
  • You are not posting personal attacks, messages that are sexual in nature or inflammatory.
  • You are not posting any information that is false, misleading or inaccurate.
  • The submission is free of copyright, trademark or publication restrictions.
  • You are not using the website for any unlawful purpose or encouraging others to engage in unlawful activities.
  • You will not interfere with any other person's use of the website.
  • You acknowledge that third parties may hold you responsible for libel, invasion of privacy, misappropriation of likeness and disclosure of confidential information, and that you will hold harmless the Daily Athenaeum for same.
  • The Daily Athenaeum has the right to disclose any information in compliance with any law, regulation or governmental request that could prevent or assist in the resolution of any criminal, illegal, or any activity in violation of state, federal or local law and/or University policy.
  • Commercial solicitation is strictly prohibited.

Please direct any questions to DA-editor@mail.wvu.edu

Terms of Service

Rights

This site is owned and operated by The Daily Athenaeum and contains material which is derived in whole or in part from The Daily Athenaeum and other sources and is protected by international copyright, trademark and other intellectual property laws. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute in any way any material from this site including code and software. You may download material from this site for your personal, non-commercial use only, provided you keep intact all copyright and other proprietary notices.

License

By posting messages, uploading files, inputting data, or engaging in any other form of communication through this service, you are granting The Daily Athenaeum a royalty-free, perpetual, non-exclusive, unrestricted, worldwide license to:

Use, copy, sublicense, adapt, transmit, publicly perform or display any such communication. Sublicense to third parties the unrestricted right to exercise any of the foregoing rights granted with respect to the communication.

The forgoing grants shall include the right to exploit any proprietary rights in such communication, including but not limited to rights under copyright, trademark, servicemark or patent laws under any relevant jurisdiction.

Limitation of liability

Under no circumstances, including, but not limited to negligence, shall The Daily Athenaeum be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special or consequential damages that result from the use of, or the inability to use The Daily Athenaeum materials. You specifically acknowledge and agree that The Daily Athenaeum is not liable for any defamatory, offensive or illegal conduct of any user. If you are dissatisfied with any material, or with, any of The Daily Athenaeum terms and conditions, your sole and exclusive remedy is to discontinue using the The Daily Athenaeum web site. In addition, The Daily Athenaeum may allow you to purchase different types of products and services online that are provided by third parties. The Daily Athenaeum is not responsible for the quality, accuracy, timeliness, reliability or any other aspect of these products and services. Your use of this site also signifies your release of The Daily Athenaeum and its affiliates from any damages that you incur, and agree not to assert any claims against them, arising from your use of these products or services.

Disclaimer

The Daily Athenaeum has provided links and pointers to Internet sites maintained by third parties. The Daily Athenaeum does not operate or control in any respect any information, products or services on these third-party sites. The materials in this site and the third-party sites are provided "as is" and without warranties of any kind either express or implied. To the fullest extent permissible pursuant to applicable law, The Daily Athenaeum disclaims all warranties, express or implied, including, but not limited to, implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. The Daily Athenaeum does not warrant that the functions contained in the materials will be uninterrupted or error-free, that defects will be corrected, or that this site, including bulletin boards, or the server that makes it available, are free of viruses or other harmful components. The Daily Athenaeum does not warrant or make any representations regarding the use or the results of the use of the materials in this site or in third-party sites in terms of their correctness, accuracy, timeliness, reliability or otherwise. You (and not The Daily Athenaeum) assume the entire cost of all necessary maintenance, repair or correction.

Termination

This agreement is effective until terminated by The Daily Athenaeum at any time without notice. In the event of termination, you are no longer authorized to access any bulletin boards and the restrictions imposed on you with respect to material downloaded from the bulletin boards, the disclaimers and limitations of liabilities set forth in this agreement, shall survive.

Other

This Terms of Service Agreement constitutes the entire agreement between The Daily Athenaeum and you with respect to the subject matter contained herein and supersedes all previous and contemporaneous agreements, proposals and communications, written or oral. The Daily Athenaeum may amend or modify this Terms of Service Agreement or impose new conditions at any time without prior notice. Such amendments and modifications shall be effective immediately upon notice thereof which may be given by means including, but not limited to, posting on The Daily Athenaeum Any use of the service by you after such notice shall be deemed to constitute acceptance by you of such amendments, modifications or new conditions. This agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Pennsylvania without giving effect to any principles or conflicts of law. If any provision of this agreement shall be unlawful, void or for any reason unenforceable, then that provision shall be deemed severable from this agreement and shall not affect the validity and enforceability of any remaining provisions.

Prohibited Uses

This Site is not intended for use by persons located within the European Economic Area (EEA). We do not request or accept personal information concerning or supplied by persons who are located within the EEA at the time they access this Site. If you have accessed this Site from within the EEA, you should immediately discontinue your use. If you have supplied personal information to us in violation of this provision, whether through the registration of new user accounts or otherwise, please contact us at danewsroom@mail.wvu.edu.

The Daily Athenaeum logo WVU's Independent Student Newspaper