dorm

The living room and kitchen inside University Park.

Don’t make finding a compatible roommate the hardest test of your college career.

Before signing a lease, many students have found it important to do some research on the people they will be sharing their space with for the next year.

Loud, quiet, outgoing, shy, studious, wild - all are traits that are carried by different types of roommates that, if they aren’t realized soon enough, have the power to make or break a roommate relationship.

Many students find the relationship between roommates to require as much attention and effort as a romantic relationship. Kait Hudok, a junior finance and economics student, said it is not only important to take the time to choose a roommate, but the same amount of work should also go into maintaining that relationship.

“Roommates are, quite honestly, the most serious and long-term relationship most college students enter into,” Hudok said. “Consider hobbies, habits and their general temperament, and don’t be afraid once you’re in this significant relationship to raise concerns before anything escalates.”

Others, however, don’t see the need for roommates to be best friends. Grant Jones, a sophomore marketing student, said the most important thing is the ability to compromise with each other.

“It’s mostly important to find someone that will meet you in the middle when you don’t agree on certain things or the way things should be done in the house,” Jones said. “Obviously you won’t agree with your roommate on everything, but you want someone who can see multiple views on things so you aren’t always arguing.”

In the end, everyone has different expectations for roommate relationships. Realizing these expectations before choosing a roommate could save a lot of stress and even optimize the relationship.