Scheduling at WVU may seem intimidating at first, but when you come equipped with the facts and an understanding of the process, it becomes much easier. The first step of the process is to relax.

I remember sitting down to schedule with an adviser during my orientation session and staring at all of the class listings with a feeling of apprehension. But my adviser calmly and knowledgeably guided me through the process and I knew I wasn’t alone in creating my class schedule.

The second step is to make sure you know your sleep habits. Are you more of a night owl or an early riser? If you know you can barely get up before noon, schedule accordingly. Don’t pack your schedule full of 8:30 a.m. classes. But, remember the later your orientation session is, the more limited class availability will be. You’re scheduling after everyone else at WVU, so your choices are limited. However, for many 101 classes you will need to take, there are numerous time slots.

Also, don’t take more credit hours than you can handle. At the beginning of your college career, you may think it’s a good idea to take 18 credit hours (6 classes) for your first semester. You’re new to college and may feel ready to knock out as many GEC courses as you can, but this can lead to feeling overwhelmed and performing poorly. Remember, you don’t need to overachieve past your limits.

Your first semester at college is a time to learn more about yourself and your study and sleep habits. Some people can handle 18 credit hours, but if you’ll also be working, I wouldn’t recommend it. You want to be able to experience all that WVU has to offer, and if you’re constantly exhausted from spreading yourself too thin, you won’t be able to.

When scheduling, make sure the locations of your classes are close enough to each other so you won’t be rushing from one to the next. For example, don’t schedule a class on Evansdale Campus 15 minutes after a class on the Downtown Campus. Also, make sure you’ll actually utilize a break between classes; if you put an hour between each, make sure you’ll use that time for studying or homework, and won’t simply feel stuck on campus.

Third, check out all of your options for your GEC requirements. There’s actually a lot of freedom and flexibility when it comes to fulfilling GECs and WVU offers a variety of classes for each. Experiment a little bit; try out a fun film class or dance class to broaden your experience. You can even use classes you take to fulfill GEC requirements toward completing a minor. For a list of all of your options, visit http://registrar.wvu.edu/current_students/general_education_curriculum.

Remember to utilize Degree Works. Degree Works shows you the progress you are making toward completing your degree in an organized and helpful manner. Degree Works is found on the STAR tab on MIX.

Finally, don’t be afraid to ask questions during the process. Your adviser is there to help you create your best schedule possible for your first semester at WVU. Remember, there will be limitations because of your later scheduling date, but the farther you get in your career at WVU, the more options you’ll have to have your best possible experience here.