The Rocky Horror Picture Show

Students rehearse for "The Rocky Horror Picture Show."

WVUp All Night is throwing its hat into the Diversity Week ring with a student-run performance of "The Rocky Horror Picture Show."

For the uninitiated, "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" is a comedic tribute to and parody of mid-twentieth century science fiction and b-horror films in the form of a musical. The show’s quirky and over-the-top humor has made it a cult classic. The show is also highly interactive with dedicated fans knowing specific lines that must be yelled out during particular scenes. Some fans even show up in costume.

The story follows a young couple who must take refuge in a Gothic castle after their car breaks down in a storm. The couple feels uneasy entering the castle and rightfully so. They quickly become entangled in a variety of predicaments with the castle’s strange inhabitants.

The Rocky Picture Horror Show was selected to be a Diversity Week event due to the show’s utter obsession with sexuality. The antagonist of The Rocky Horror Picture Show is Dr. Frank N. Furter, a pansexual, promiscuous, cross dressing, mad scientist alien who came to earth to enjoy kinky sex with the earthlings.

"There are guys in drag," said Kylie Unger, director of the show. "Gay sex, a lot of sex actually. I think it’s all sex."

By putting on this show, Unger and others hope people become more comfortable with sexuality in all its forms.

"I hope (the audience) gain more confidence in their sexuality," Unger said. "And I hope they have fun, it’s not meant to be a serious show."

Dedicated fans will know all of the show’s interactive bits, but first timers should not be worried. The backup dancers and singers have been instructed to help the audience along with the songs, dances and lines they need to partake in.

As with all cult classics, special precautions had to be taken to keep the musical accurate to what dedicated fans are used to.

"There are some people that know it by heart and have certain things that they expect to see with the show," Unger said. "So you have to make sure you are accommodating every single thing they are expecting to see while also bringing your own flair to it. It’s definitely a challenge."

Unger, the cast and crew are excited to bring the show to West Virginia University. However, the path has not been easy. As a student-run production, the group ran into a lot of scheduling issues. Everyone had different majors and times to be available, which was a lot to work around.

Time posed another threat. With only one month to get the show together, everyone had to work quickly. Unger credits an incredibly dedicated crew with getting the set pieces together in only one week, no small feat for a production as grandiose as The Rocky Horror  Picture Show. Unger also credits the cast for being so on point with their lines.

Fans of The Rocky Horror Picture Show know what to expect. For students who have never seen the show before it may be something worth checking out. One thing can be guaranteed, it’s unlike anything you’ve seen before.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show will be performed for three nights at 8 p.m. Oct. 1-3 in the Gluck Theatre in the Mountainlair. Admission is free to all. Doors open at 7:30 p.m.