WVU Women’s Track and Field started its indoor season with two home meets hosted at the Shell building at the WVU open this weekend.

The team took three victories on Saturday, including two individual events and one relay event.

As the team begins its season, it will begin to focus strongly on key runners, jumpers and vaulters.

"I’m looking at some leadership in the pole vault in Madelin Gardener and Sara Finfrock after having a good year last year," said WVU head coach Sean Cleary. "We’ve got some up-and-coming kids also in the vault that we think can impress us."

Finfrock earned All-Big 12 honors last season, placing eighth in the pole vault and marking a career-best at the Big 12 Championship.

Gardener and Finfrock share the third best mark in WVU history at 3.91 meters during the 2016 Big 12 Championship.

"Looking at the jumps, we’re looking at Shamoya McNeil, Faith Penny, Marseille McBeam and Meghan Jean-Baptiste," Cleary said.

Sophomore Faith Penny took West Virginia’s first win in the high jump at the WVU Open, marking 1.71 meters.

Junior Meghan Jean-Baptiste placed second in the long jump with a mark of 4.87 meters. Jean-Baptiste also finished third in the 60-meter hurdles with a time of 9.56 seconds.

"Bria Welker is one of our leaders as well as Chaqieta Robinson," Cleary said.

Welker finished second in the women’s 60-meter dash, recording a season-best time of 8.10 seconds. McNeil finished third and recorded a season best time of 8.11 seconds. Robinson took a second place finish in the 500 meter run with a time of 1:19.22.

"Then it’s the stereotypical distance runners," Cleary said. "We’ve got Jillian Forsey, Amy Cashin and Maggie Drazba will be leading our team."

Forsey, Cashin and Drazba all just came off of a successful cross country season and are expected to have another successful campaign with track and field.

Candace Jones, Olivia Hill, Briana Kerekes and Brynn Harshbarger are also expected to step up and have an impact this season.

"So that takes a look at the three aspects of our team," Cleary said. "That’s a large number of girls, but we’re looking at some point for all of them to contribute."