The West Virginia University rowing team competed in West Windsor, N.J. at the Knecht Cup Saturday and Sunday.

Head coach Jimmy King said this regatta has always been a focal point of the Mountaineers spring schedule. It occurs directly in the middle of the season, giving his squad a good estimate as to where they are right now.

“The Knecht Cup Regatta has always been a mainstay of our spring schedule occurring at the midpoint of our season,” King said.

The Knecht Cup marked WVU’s third event of the spring, after the Mountaineers competed in a dual contest against Indiana University Bloomington on Lake Lemon in Bloomington, Ind., April 5. WVU tallied four second-place finishes against the Hoosiers.

West Virginia entered the two-day event, which featured crews from 70 different schools across the country competing in 34 events. First up for the Mountaineers Saturday was the varsity four. The Mountaineers “A” boat finished in third with a time of 7:58.01, trailing behind Boston College, who took first at 7:43.70 and Temple, crossing in 7:56.80.

In the second varsity four, West Virginia’s boat finished in fourth, 14.73 seconds behind the winner, Tulsa, who crossed in 7:52.91. Following the Golden Hurricanes was George Mason, Buffalo and then the Mountaineers finishing in 8:07.64. The Owls took last with a time of 8:31.26.

The varsity eight landed WVU a fourth-place finishing in a time of 7:04.04. The Eagles took the heat with a 6:54.70 finish, followed by Bucknell and TU.

After competition ended Saturday, the Mountaineers advanced in certain races Sunday, including the varsity four third final. WVU finished fifth, only Connecticut finished behind them. The first-place finish went to New Hampshire at 8:00.42, as Bucknell, North Carolina and then West Virginia followed behind with a time of 8:13.25.

The novice eight grand final earned the Mountaineers a third-place finish with a time of 7:17.02. Winning the race was Drexel at 7:14.69, followed by Buffalo in second.

In the petite final of the second varsity eight, WVU found themselves in last place, recording a time of 7:07.18. Old Dominion won the race in 6:59.98.

The final race for West Virginia was the varsity eight third final, which landed the Mountaineers a fourth-place finish, crossing in 7:17.06. Fordham took first at 7:09.84, followed by Temple and the Huskies.