The West Virginia women’s rowing team will head to Bloomington, Ind., for its second competition of the spring slate this Saturday. The Mountaineers spent March 21-27 training on Lake Lure in North Carolina in preparation for the next few races. From there, they traveled to Washington, D.C., where the Georgetown Hoyas hosted West Virginia and North Carolina.

The Mountaineers proved strong in D.C. after the competition ended with one victory, two third-place finishes and a runner-up finish. West Virginia will confidently head into its next matchup with Big 10 rowing powerhouse, Indiana.

The Indiana Hoosiers are currently ranked 13th in the latest CRCA Coach’s Poll. They hosted the University of Dayton last week for a scrimmage where no score was kept. The Mountaineers will be traveling to compete on the Hoosiers’ home body of water, Lake Lemon.

“We’re all very excited to finally race,” said head coach Jimmy King prior to the Mountaineers’ first spring race against Georgetown and North Carolina. “Although we’ve been on the water for two weeks, we’re eager to put our hard winter’s work to the test.”

King is excited to continue the 2014-15 season with a talented group of rowers.

In Washington, D.C., the first Varsity 8+ team finished on the Potomac River in 6:20.5. That squad consisted of Brittany James at coxswain, Susannah Hartlove, Colleen Giesbrecht, Lisa Deklau, Emma Preston, Elizabeth Kantak, Rachel Cokeley, Melinda Sharon and Louisa Morgan. The second Varsity 8+ team finished in 7:47.7 and consisted of Abigail Harris at coxswain, Emily Stasi, Aria Asselta, Anna Cokeley, Rebecca Gehring, Alisha Brownfield, Madison James, Sadie Kalathunkal and Addie Dulaney.

Last year in April, the squad faced Indiana on the same body of water and finished with four second-place finishes, and the first Varsity 8+ crew completed the course on Lake Lemon with a time of 7:10.2. The second Varsity 8+ crew finished in 7:19.2. Coach King was disappointed with last season’s performance against the Hoosiers and expects improved times on Saturday.

The upcoming schedule for WVU Rowing following the Indiana competition includes the Knecht Cup Regatta at West Windsor Township in N.J., April 11-12; a home matchup with Duquesne on April 19; and the EAWRC Sprints in Cherry Hill, N.J., on May 3. The Big 12 Championships will end the season beginning May 16 in Tennessee.