Longwood

The West Virginia women’s soccer team walks off the pitch after their 4-0 win over Longwood this season.

This weekend, the No. 4 ranked West Virginia University women’s soccer team will host Buffalo and  conclude nonconference play on Sunday when they take on Florida Gulf Coast.

After an early season letdown at Virginia Tech, the Mountaineers have gone on a tear. WVU has rattled off six straight wins, allowing no goals and outscoring its opponents 21-0 over that span.

The Mountaineers now sit at 7-1, as they prepare to take on Buffalo and Florida Gulf Coast.

Fresh off a weekend in which they were able to beat a ranked opponent in Ohio State and then abolish Longwood, the Mountaineers appear ready to defend their Big 12 title.

Buffalo and Florida Gulf Coast aren’t at the top end of the competition that WVU has played this year, but the Mountaineers will continue to take things one game at a time.

"We’re excited about this weekend. Both these teams made the postseason tournament last year and have had success against top schools this year," said Mountaineer head coach Nikki Izzo-Brown in an interview with WVUsports.com.

"We know they’re going to be up to the challenge and are going to be ready for us. Both are a tough side, and this weekend is a good test for us as we prepare to move into Big 12 play."

Buffalo is fresh off of its first NCAA Tournament appearance last season, where they lost to Penn State. WVU earned a 1-0 victory over Penn State on Sept. 4.

The Bulls went 16-3-3 last year and are looking to defend their Mid-American Conference title.

Florida Gulf Coast, another emerging top-caliber program, notched 17 wins last season, best in its history.

The Mountaineers victory over Longwood Sunday proved to be record-breaking. WVU gave up no shots in its 4-0 victory. The defense’s magnificent performance led to Kadeisha Buchanan being crowned Big 12 Defensive Player of the Week.

The outstanding stretch of excellence displayed by WVU has led it to its highest ranking in program history, No. 4 in the TopDrawerSoccer.com poll.

WVU continues to shoot for the No. 1 rank, which has certainly become a reachable goal. Virginia, Florida State and North Carolina sit ahead of the Mountaineers in the polls.

Even with the high of the win streak still fresh, WVU sustained a huge loss to its back line following the win over Ohio State Friday.

Junior Carly Black, a staple of the Mountaineer defense, tore her ACL and is expected to miss the remainder of the season.

WVU will begin conference play on Sept. 25 at Dick Dlesk Soccer Stadium against Texas.