WVU’s Lanay Montgomery

WVU’s Lanay Montgomery tries to get a shot up inside against Baylor last weekend.

The West Virginia University women’s basketball team ended a two-game losing streak Tuesday night, defeating Texas Tech in Lubbock with a final score of 69-42.

The Mountaineers came out of the gates on fire against the Red Raiders of Texas Tech, ending the first quarter with a 20-point lead and going into halftime on top 31-17. The second half was no different, as WVU outscored the Red Raiders 38-25 to collect its 17th win of the season.

"I thought we got off to a quick start," said WVU coach Mike Carey. "I think Lanay Montgomery played really well. Bria Holmes did the little things well."

Senior center Lanay Montgomery led the way for West Virginia, putting up 17 points and collecting 10 rebounds for her fifth double-double on the season. Montgomery’s presence in the paint was key on both offense and defense for the Mountaineers.

On the defensive end, Montgomery hauled in eight of her 10 rebounds and recorded one block. Offensively, Montgomery shot 72 percent from the field, to pace the Mountaineers in points and field percentage.

Right behind Montgomery in scoring, senior guard Bria Holmes recorded 16 points and collected seven rebounds. Holmes made up for a team-high five turnovers against Texas Tech, shooting 50 percent from the field and from beyond the three-point line.

Holmes also forced three steals, as Arielle Roberson led the team with five steals on the night. Roberson posted 10 points to put the senior transfer third in scoring for the night.

Tuesday’s win for West Virginia matches the Mountaineer season win total from a year ago (17). As a team, WVU shot 47.5 percent from the field and finished shooting 41.2 percent from 3-point land. The Mountaineers also tallied 12 steals and forced 15 total turnovers in the victory over Texas Tech.

For the Red Raiders, freshman guard Japreece Dean finished with 16 points. Dean led a Texas Tech comeback effort in the second quarter. The Red Raiders opened the period scoring seven of the first nine points, en route to an 11-0 run, which trimmed the Mountaineer’s lead to nine. Dean finished the Red Raider’s run with a layup, but the freshman’s efforts weren’t enough to overcome West Virginia’s first half dominance.

"We kind of let up in the second quarter," Carey said. "In the second half, we didn’t play well, and had too many turnovers."

Texas Tech forced 18 WVU turnovers, but were outrebounded and outscored by the Mountaineers at the game’s end. WVU also held Texas Tech to 28.6 percent shooting from the field, which is the 19th time this season the Mountaineers have held an opponent under 35 percent from the field.

WVU makes their way back to Morgantown for a home game versus Kansas State at 1 p.m. on Saturday in the annual Play 4Kay pink game. Tipoff will be at the WVU Coliseum.