The West Virginia volleyball team is heading down to Rock Hill, South Carolina to participate in the Winthrop Invitational this weekend.

To start off the three matches WVU has this weekend, the Mountaineers will play their first game tonight at 6 p.m. against Winthrop.

The Winthrop Eagles have an overall record of 4-7 this season. In their last match they won 3-0 against North Carolina Central. In that game, the Eagles were led by junior outside hitter Annelies Dokter, who had 11 kills. This will be the second time these two teams have ever competed against each other. The first time these teams had a match together, WVU took the win 3-2.

WVU’s second match will be against Davidson University, who has a record of 4-6 this season, making this their first match against each other. The match starts at 10 a.m. Saturday morning.

The Davidson Wildcats’ last match was against Marshall Thundering Herd, defeating them 3-2.

In this match, the Wildcats were led by freshman Sabrina Shepherd, who had 15 kills.

The third and final match for the Mountaineers this tournament will be at 4:30 p.m. later that day against the Murray State Racers.

Murray State has a record of 7-1, and in their last match, they beat Indiana State 3-0. The Racers having four players with double digits in kills in their last match could make them a tough team to beat. In that match, senior outside hitter Taylor Olden led with 17 kills. Senior Alyssa Lelm, junior Scottie Ingram and redshirt junior Kristen Besselsen all had 10 kills each.

In WVU’s last match, they beat in-state rivals Marshall 3-2. In that match, they were led by sophomore outside hitter Morgan Montgomery, who had 31 kills and 12 digs. Senior Caleah Wells followed behind her, notching 17 kills herself. This was the first time the Mountaineers have defeated the Thundering Herd since 2010, which resulted in WVU getting back the Golden Ball trophy.

"It is a great feeling, finally having (the Golden Ball Trophy) back at WVU is what we’ve really wanted the past few years," Montgomery said.

In that game, Montgomery had her fourth double-double of the season, which is the highest in her career as a volleyball player. The team leader has made a major improvement since last season.

The trio of games WVU will play in this weekend will be some of the last games leading up to them starting in the Big 12 Conference next week.

The conference matches for WVU will begin when they play Marshall at 6 p.m. on Sept. 25 at the WVU Coliseum.