There are nine remaining games in the regular season for WVU’s women’s basketball team. With their record at 13-8 overall, 3-6 in the Big 12, the Mountaineers need to take advantage of their remaining schedule. Right now the Big 12 is the No. 1 in conference RPI and 60 percent of the league’s teams are in the top 62 NCAA RPI.

TCU is not going to be an easy opponent by any means for them tonight. Both teams are pretty evenly matched in terms of shooting and scoring. West Virginia did have a great win over Oklahoma who was ranked No. 24 over the weekend, which may give them a boost going into their upcoming matchups.

Following the Horned Frogs, WVU travels to Ames this weekend for a rematch against the Iowa State Cyclones. Iowa State has posted some impressive wins along with close losses, but got demolished at Baylor in mid-January, 79-49. This week the Sooners are playing Iowa State in Norman, Okla., so they have a chance to bounce back after losing to West Virginia over the weekend.

Kansas is in almost the same boat as West Virginia with a record of 12-10 overall, 3-6 in the Big 12. Most recently they took a loss to Baylor but prior to that, the Jayhawks racked up their wins against Texas Tech, West Virginia and Iowa State.

Before the Jayhawks come to WVU for a rematch they will have played Texas Tech again and Oklahoma State. The Cowgirls join Kansas and West Virginia in the club of only three conference wins thus far. Oklahoma State has lost to Kansas State, WVU, TCU and Oklahoma but dominated Texas Tech and K-State while at home.

On Feb. 15, the Mountaineers will have a tough challenge against Baylor in Waco. The Lady Bears hold the best record in the league with 20 wins and one loss, a perfect 8-0 in the Big 12. In their last game against West Virginia, they barely got away with a win of 66-62.

Although Baylor may be the highest ranked team WVU faces this regular season, it does not mean the test will end. After Waco, the Mountaineers will be at home for games against Oklahoma State and Iowa State and then will travel to TCU the following week.

Bringing up the end of the regular season, West Virginia faces Texas in its last home game and Kansas State in the final game of the season.

Texas freshman Ariel Atkins is the national Freshman of the Week selected by the U.S. Basketball Writers Association, and she earned the same award this week in the Big 12. The Longhorns are fairing well this season, with a 15-5 overall and 4-5 in the conference. With wins over Kansas, WVU, Iowa State and No. 24 Oklahoma, Texas is holding on to fourth place for the league.

Kansas State is also fighting for a sixth place position boasting a record of 13-7 and 3-6 in the Big 12. Their three conference wins came from Texas Tech, Oklahoma State and Kansas.

In Big 12 fashion, all of these teams have the power to compete with each other and win if they play hard. This is something West Virginia has been trying to accomplish since coming out of the winter break and has been successful with a few times.

This is the only conference where every team has at least three wins, a winning record and have all reached double digit wins.

The league standings are Baylor in first place, Oklahoma in second, Iowa State and TCU tied for third place, Texas in fourth, K-State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech and Kansas are all tied for sixth place. With these next few weeks of play there will be some serious weeding out in the conference as the 10 teams begin to post more wins and move the rankings around a bit.