Mountaineer fans, you are forgiven if you’re feeling a little low right about now.

There are so many positive things that the 2015-16 West Virginia men’s basketball team could be remembered for, but the unfortunate truth is teams are ultimately defined by their performance in the NCAA Tournament, and this year’s Mountaineers will go down in history as the team that lost to Stephen F. Austin.

Meanwhile, the NCAA Tournament has rolled on, with Buddy Hield — whom West Virginia held to six points in the Big 12 Tournament semifinals — carrying conference rival Oklahoma to the Final Four.

Believe me, I know that’s tough to swallow. And I know it’s very easy and tempting to just shut down after the early tournament exit and wait for football to start again next fall.

But that would be a mistake. Packing it in now would mean that you miss a West Virginia baseball team with an extremely bright future and a present that could get them in striking range of an NCAA Tournament.

Admittedly, it’s been easy to ignore WVU baseball in the past. This year marks the 20th anniversary of the last time West Virginia reached the NCAA Tournament, and up until last year, the Mountaineers played at dilapidated Hawley Field, a home field that held West Virginia back for years.

But West Virginia baseball finally made it into the 21st century with the opening of Monongalia County Ballpark last year — it’s finally fully completed, and it’s a place where you absolutely have to catch at least one game.

And if you come for the brand-new stadium, you’ll have to stay for the talented team. West Virginia will always have trouble hanging around with the Big 12’s big boys, but this year’s squad might have as good a chance as any.

The Mountaineers return an accomplished, veteran starting rotation of senior Ross Vance, junior Chad Donato and sophomore B.J. Myers, who last year combined to be one of the conference’s stingiest and hardest-working units.

But the real hope for the team lies in the young talent up and down the lineup. Four freshmen have broken into head coach Randy Mazey’s starting lineup this year, and three of them — outfielders Darius Hill and Kyle Gray and shortstop Jimmy Galusky — are hitting over .300 so far in their first seasons of college baseball.

West Virginia can also count on the talents of sophomore third baseman Kyle Davis, who’s coming off a 2015 season where he hit .353 and ranked among the best freshmen in the nation.

So far, WVU has had some bumps in the road in the early goings of the season — squandering a couple chances to win games at No. 10 TCU didn’t do the Mountaineers any favors — but the future is as bright as ever for this young squad.

So once you’re done mourning the loss to Stephen F. Austin, do yourself a favor and head on down to Monongalia County Ballpark. No rush, we’ll be waiting.