West Virginia University Athletic Director Oliver Luck announced the 2014 spring rowing schedule, which will feature six regattas and a scrimmage in Morgantown on the Monongahela River in late March.

Luck said a challenge lies ahead for this Mountaineer squad with the schedule head coach Jimmy King and his staff made.

“Coach Jimmy King and his staff have compiled a schedule that will challenge his rowers while allowing his team to compete against the nation’s top programs,” Luck said. “I look forward to watching our rowers excel throughout this season.”

King, in his sixth year as head coach and second in the Big 12 Conference, said 2013 was a learning year and now, in year two of being in the conference, the team will be much more prepared in a multitude of ways.

“Like most of WVU’s sports, we revamped our schedule last year as we moved into the Big 12 Conference, which resulted in only one hold over events from years past,” King said. “Now in year two, we have a degree of familiarity that will benefit us in travel, pre-race preparations and in knowing our competition.”

West Virginia opens the season at the University of Louisville hosted Oak Ridge Cardinal Invitational March 15-16. There are 11 schools slated to compete at the event, including fellow Big 12 school Kansas.

Up next for the Mountaineers will be new features to the 2014 schedule. There will be a scrimmage against George Mason March 29 on the Monongahela River and also a dual against Indiana in Bloomington April 5.

King said the scrimmage will allow both George Mason and WVU to have some early season experience to help both teams for the season ahead.

“We’re excited to host a home event this spring when George Mason makes the trip to Morgantown in late March,” King said. “GMU coach (Ted) Nagorsen and I have decided to utilize a scrimmage format that will better serve our teams at that early point in the racing season.”

The Mountaineers will then hit the road April 12-13 and travel to Mercer Lake in West Windsor, N.J., for the Knecht Cup Regatta. The event will be hosted by Villanova.

West Virginia will then head to Pennsylvania to Pinchot Lake April 19 for a double dual hosted by Bucknell University. Competing alongside the Mountaineers is Bucknell, George Mason and Temple as the four schools will pair off to race two duals.

The Big 12 Championships will be next for the Mountaineers May 3 on the Oklahoma River in Oklahoma City. All five of the Big 12 rowing programs are also affiliated with Conference USA for NCAA selection purposes.

The season will finish at the Conference USA Championships May 17 on Melton Hill Lake in Oak Ridge, Tenn.