ryan bergert texas A&M

West Virginia right-hander Ryan Bergert delivers a pitch to a waiting Texas A&M batter on June 2, 2019 at Monongalia County Ballpark during the Morgantown Regional.

The West Virginia baseball team fell 4-3 to Jacksonville Saturday afternoon. 

The Mountaineers (1-1) held an advantage in hits at 9-to-6, but a two-run home run by Jacksonville (1-1) first baseman Christian Coipel in the bottom of the eighth inning gave the Dolphins a 4-3 lead and the victory.

West Virginia starting pitcher Ryan Bergert struck out four batters and walked two in six innings while allowing only four hits. 

Freshman Tyler Strechay made his West Virginia pitching debut, relieving Bergert in the bottom of the seventh inning and retired the first three batters he faced in only eight pitches. However, he allowed two runs, a hit, and walked one batter on only 20 pitches. 

Madison Jeffery came in for Strechay to close it out, but was unable to keep Jacksonville from rallying to take the lead as the Dolphins scored three runs in a huge eighth inning at the plate. 

West Virginia centerfielder Victor Scott went 2-for-4 at the plate, including two triples, continuing from his successful game on Friday. Right fielder Austin Davis had a good day swinging the bat as well, going 3-for-4 with two RBI’s. 

As a team, WVU struck out eight times.

The theme of the day was runners left on base for West Virginia. The bases were left loaded in the top of the first inning and runners of third were left in multiple innings as the Mountaineers were unable to get crucial hits when they needed them. 

West Virginia and Jacksonville will go into Sunday’s contest each looking for its first series win on the year. First pitch is scheduled for noon in Jacksonville. Sunday’s game will stream live on ESPN+.