For the first time since 2016, the West Virginia baseball team has clinched a spot in the championship game of the Big 12 Tournament.

Despite falling to No. 4 seed Texas Tech earlier in the day, the No. 1 seed West Virginia baseball team was able to pick up a 2-0 victory over the Red Raiders in their second matchup on Saturday.

West Virginia was aided by a strong one-hit pitching performance from starting pitcher Ryan Bergert. In his first start of the 2019 campaign, the freshman right-hander retired the first 13 batters he faced. Pitching five innings on the mound, Bergert held the Red Raiders scoreless while walking none and striking out four.

Texas Tech starter Hunter Dobbins also found success on the mound as, in his six innings of work, he gave up only five hits while striking out five Mountaineers.

Despite Dobbins’ success, the Red Raiders found themselves behind early as, in the top of the third inning, WVU sophomore infielder Tyler Doanes came to score on a Texas Tech throwing error.

Then, in the sixth inning, junior outfielder Brandon White managed to make it to third base safely on a throwing error after stealing second base. After senior outfielder Darius Hill walked, junior infielder Marques Inman grounded into a double play which scored White and gave the Mountaineers the 2-0 lead.

West Virginia head coach Randy Mazey opted for his bullpen in the bottom half of the sixth, handing the ball off to Zach Ottinger. The freshman right-hander took to the mound to close out the game, sitting down 12 of the 13 batters he faced.

Despite having scored the most runs in the Big 12 Conference this season, Texas Tech was unable to bring anybody around to score, giving the Mountaineers the win.

In Sunday’s championship game, West Virginia will face the winner of Saturday night’s late game: No. 3 seed Oklahoma State versus No. 6 seed TCU. Sunday’s first pitch, from Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark in Oklahoma City, is scheduled for 2 p.m.

Update: Per the Big 12 Conference, Saturday night's game between Oklahoma State and TCU has been postponed due to inclement weather. The game will be made up on Sunday at 10 a.m. The championship game is still scheduled for 2 p.m.