Volleyball

Peyton Caffrey prepares to spike the ball over the net.

Payton Caffrey’s accomplishments are a key part in West Virginia’s 15-10 record so far this season.

Caffrey, a sophomore outside hitter from Chuluota, Florida, was an important recruit for the Mountaineers heading into the beginning of last season. While in high school at Winter Springs in Chuluota, Caffrey was a starter all four years. Additionally, she broke the all-time kills record for all of Central Florida as a senior.

While she received other numerous high school honors, the recognition did not stop once she made it to collegiate play.

As a freshman, Caffrey was named Big 12 Freshman of the Week five different times and was also selected as the WVU Rookie of the Year. This wasn’t her only award in that category, as she was honored the AVCA Midwest Region Rookie of the Year.

All of her achievements have come with a lot of hard work and impressive numbers on the volleyball court to become the WVU Volleyball Offensive MVP of 2016.

During her freshman season, Caffrey recorded 515 kills, which is the second-most in WVU program history. She also averaged 2.6 digs a set and recorded 47 blocks.

Caffrey’s drive hasn’t stopped. She recorded a season-high 25 kills against Kansas State this October as a sophomore, adding a season-high six aces against Harvard.

Hitting .191 so far in 2017, Caffrey is just shy of beating her previous season hitting percentage of .196, and there are still five games left.

Caffrey has notched more than 10 kills on 16 different occasions this year, and there could be more of those performances to come as Caffrey and the Mountaineers head into the last few games of conference play.

Most recently against Oklahoma, Caffrey finished with a hitting percentage of .250 and recorded 13 kills. Despite the Mountaineers dropping the match in five sets to the Sooners, she was able to help lead the team through an exciting match.

Next up for Caffrey and the Mountaineers will be another top 25 matchup, hosting the No. 19 Iowa State Cyclones at 6 p.m. Wednesday at the WVU Coliseum. WVU suffered a 3-1 loss the last time the teams met on Oct. 18.