The No. 22 West Virginia baseball team won their series against Kansas State on Sunday afternoon as they handed the Wildcats a 7-4 loss.

A strong eighth inning from the Mountaineers’ offense created the space necessary for the three run win as West Virginia was able to bring four runs across the plate.

With two runners on base, the scoring started when senior catcher Ivan Gonzalez brought home pinch runner Austin Davis with an RBI single. The Mountaineers added two more runs as junior outfielder TJ Lake and sophomore infielder Tyler Doanes each brought a run in with sacrifice flies.

West Virginia (31-18, 13-11 Big 12) scored their final run of the day immediately following the at-bat of Doanes as junior infielder Kevin Brophy scored on an RBI single from junior outfielder Brandon White.

Entering the eighth inning, it was Kansas State who had the lead after scoring one run in the sixth and two in the seventh.

Kansas State (25-28, 8-13 Big 12) had sat dormant at the plate prior to that as their only run before then was added to the scoreboard in the first inning after senior infielder Thomas Hughes came around to score on an RBI single. The run aimed to counter a two-run home run from WVU junior infielder Marques Inman in the top of the first.

The win went to WVU reliever Zach Ottinger who came on to get the last out in the seventh inning. Junior right-hander Sam Kessler gave up only one hit over the final two innings of play, earning his eighth save of the season.

After an off day on Monday, the Mountaineers will travel to PNC Park in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to take on the University of Pittsburgh Panthers. First pitch will come at 6 p.m.