The Mountaineer cross country team finished third with 100 points at the Chili Pepper Cross Country Invitational in Arkansas Saturday.

Participating in the 5k event, the team was led by redshirt senior Candace Archer (15th, 17:02.3).

Freshman Ceili McCabe continued the strong start for rookie runners, finishing second among the squad and 21st overall (17:14.3), while sophomore Charlotte Wood finished 24th in her season debut (17:19.5).

In addition, redshirt senior Olivia Hill finished 29th (17:23.6), junior Hayley Jackson followed her in 30th (17:27), junior Bree Warren placed 35th (17:31), and redshirt freshman Katherine Dowie earned 36th with a time of 17:32.1. 

Rounding out the group were redshirt sophomore Marianne Abdalah (51st, 17:45.6), redshirt junior Sarah Wills (71st, 18:01), and redshirt freshmen Mikenna Vanderheyden (98th, 18:22.9) and Samantha Hatcher (100th, 18:23.8).

West Virginia finished behind Arkansas, who placed first with 24 points, and Texas, who earned a score of 90. The Mountaineers finished 3rd for the second time this season in a contest full of Big 12 competition like Texas, Oklahoma, Baylor, and Oklahoma State.

The squad will return to action in two different competitions after a week off. Half of the team will go to the University of Wisconsin for the Nuttycombe Wisconsin Invitational, while the other half will participate in the Penn State National Open in University Park. The Mountaineers will run the 6k at both meets starting October 18th.