For the first time in 56 days, the West Virginia football team has earned a win.

At Bill Snyder Family Stadium in Manhattan, Kansas, WVU quarterback Jarret Doege threw for three touchdowns en route to a 24-20 Mountaineers win over the No. 24 Kansas State Wildcats.

In addition to the three touchdowns, Doege, who received his first start of the season under center on Saturday, ended the day going 20-of-30 passing for 234 yards.

In the first half, Doege was able to connect with wide receiver George Campbell for a pair of touchdowns. Kansas State quarterback Skylar Thompson was able to add a passing touchdown of his own, finding wide receiver Dalton Schoen for a 68-yard score to open the game.

Following two field goals from K-State’s Blake Lynch, West Virginia (4-6, 2-5 Big 12) entered halftime with a 14-13 advantage over the WIldcats. The lead was erased when Kansas State running back James Gilbert scored from three yards out with 7:56 remaining in the third quarter. 

After WVU kicker Casey Legg added a 51-yard field goal in the first minute of the fourth quarter to close the gap to three, Doege found wide receiver Bryce Wheaton for a 50-yard touchdown with 11:27 to go in the game. 

Armed with a 24-20 lead, the Mountaineers prevented anything from going K-State’s way as the clock tick toward zero.

Despite nearing the end zone during the game’s final minute, Kansas State (6-4, 3-4) had a pass intercepted by WVU’s Hakeem Bailey with 28 seconds remaining, sealing the West Virginia victory.

On the ground, Leddie Brown led the Mountaineers as the sophomore totaled 62 yards on 13 carries. Kennedy McKoy finished a close second with 12 carries for 41 yards.

In addition to his two touchdown receptions, Campbell led West Virginia in receiving as the redshirt senior ended the day with 92 yards on five catches. Isaiah Esdale also finished with five receptions, gaining 34 yards.

The Mountaineers will end their home slate next Saturday when they take on Oklahoma State (7-3, 4-1) at Milan Puskar Stadium in Morgantown. The game’s start time will be announced at a later date.