Forsey

Redshirt juniors Jillian Forsey and Maggie Drazba, qualified for the 2016 NCAA Division 1 Cross Country Championships in Terre Haute, Indiana, on Nov. 19.

“I’m very excited about qualifying for Nationals,” Drazba said. “I’ve only been to Nationals once, and I’m looking forward to returning. Placing in the top 40 would be the ultimate goal.”

Thirty-one teams were selected to race at the NCAA Nationals. The top two teams in each region make up the 18 automatic bids in addition to 13 at- large bids and 38 individual runners are also added to the mix through the at large process.

At WVU’s previous race, the NCAA Mid-Atlantic Regionals, Forsey finished in second with a time of 20:09 with Drazba following in 11th with a time of 20:47.

Throughout the season both runners have recorded strong performances as

Forsey and Drazba both earned All-Mid-Atlantic Region honors.

Forsey earned Big 12 runner of the week in September, opening the season with a first place finish at the Texas Tech Invitational on Sept. 8. She has recorded a top 15 finish in every race she has competed in this season.

Drazba stepped up this season, finishing first for the Mountaineers and 10th overall at the Penn State Open on Oct. 14. She also recorded a top 20 finish at the Big 12 Championships, helping WVU take home a third place finish.

“I feel that I’ve had more confidence going into races this season,” Drazba said. “My biggest goal for this season was to qualify for Nationals, so I’m happy that I was able to achieve that goal.”

The NCAA Cross Country Championships will start at 11 a.m. Saturday at the LaVern Gibson Cross Country Course in Terre Haute, IN.