The West Virginia baseball team defeated Kansas on Wednesday, picking up a 12-8 victory in the Mountaineers’ first game of the 2019 Big 12 Baseball Tournament.

The No. 4 seed Mountaineers set the tone early as, over the game’s first two innings, WVU rushed out to a seven-run lead.

Starting in the first inning, junior outfielder Brandon White singled home sophomore infielder Tyler Doanes for the Mountaineers’ first run of the game.

After two more Mountaineers made it on base, sophomore designated hitter Paul McIntosh emptied the bases with a three-run triple. Following an RBI single from the next batter, senior catcher Ivan Gonzalez, West Virginia left the first inning having scored five runs in the inning.

Entering the second inning, junior infielder Marques Inman connected for a two-run double after two walks and a stolen base. Once Inman advanced to third on a wild pitch, he reached home on a fly out from Gonzalez.

West Virginia was able to add a single run in the third inning when freshman infielder Tevin Tucker scored on a White RBI single.

However, the game wasn’t all WVU as the No. 5 seed Kansas did their best to mount a comeback effort.

After scoring one run in the first inning, the Jayhawks were unable to bring their next run across until the fourth inning.

In the fourth, following a leadoff double from sophomore first baseman Nolan Metcalf, a single up the middle from junior infielder Benjamin Sems gave Kansas their second run of the day. Sems then scored after freshman infielder Jack Wagner doubled to left field, closing the inning facing an 8-3 deficit.

Kansas then added four more runs in the fifth inning, bouncing WVU starter Nick Snyder from the game in the process. Snyder ended the morning giving up seven runs on seven hits while striking out four and walking five in 4 2/3 innings.

WVU added one more run in the bottom of the sixth and two in the bottom of the seventh, while the Jayhawks added a lone run in the top of the seventh. Kansas was unable to mend the gap and was handed the loss.

The Mountaineers advance to play on Thursday where they will take on the winner of the matchup between No. 1 Texas Tech and No. 8 Kansas State. The first pitch from Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark will come at 5 p.m.