WVU wrestling

West Virginia wrestler locks up against a South Dakota State wrestler during a match

On April 18, West Virginia Director of Athletics Shane Lyons announced Tim Flynn as the ninth head coach of the WVU wrestling team.

Lyons called the former Edinboro head coach "a home run hire." At Edinboro, Flynn collected a 223-95-5 record through 21 seasons with the Fighting Scots. In those 21 seasons, Flynn produced three national champions and 38 All-Americans. In addition, Flynn became Edinboro’s all-time winningest coach and a member of its Hall of Fame.

"I’m thrilled that both Cliff and Mitchell decided to join me here in Morgantown," Flynn said. "It’s nice when you start a big project that you have people that you can trust as well as people that you believe in. That means a lot to me, and I think it is going to help our program tremendously."

In a conference as well known for wrestling talent as the Big 12 is, all 11 teams and affiliates need to be the best. At the 2018 NCAA Wrestling Championships in Cleveland, Ohio, last season, South Dakota State claimed 12th, Oklahoma State tied for 13th and Wyoming came in at No. 17. West Virginia ended the tournament at 30th with 11.5 points. Flynn’s Edinboro team ranked 36th with a cumulative seven points.

"I’m excited, this is a blessing for me," Flynn said. "It came at a great time. West Virginia is a sleeping giant located in a great spot for wrestling as well as a great conference. I’m excited and ready to get started."

Flynn won’t begin his official coaching until the fall when the WVU wrestling team begins its 2018-19 season, but the WVU Athletic Department is already confident in his abilities.

"I’d like to see [WVU’s program] top 20, top 15 perennially and then have those years like he’s had at Edinboro where we’re in the top five, and we’re shooting for a national championship," Lyons said.

Flynn will replace Sammie Henson, who had been with the Mountaineers for four seasons. As a comparison, over the past four years in the Big 12 Conference, Henson only won 41 percent of the 66 matches and led the Mountaineers to a 6-7 record in 2018, the third consecutive losing season after finishing 9-9 in 2014.