WVU wrestling

West Virginia wrestler locks up against a South Dakota State wrestler during a match

The West Virginia University wrestling program turned a corner last week, hiring longtime Edinboro head coach Tim Flynn.

Flynn was officially introduced as the new Mountaineers’ head coach in a press conference on Wednesday.

"West Virginia checks all of the boxes as far as trying to build a powerhouse wrestling program, but the single most important thing to me are the people," Flynn said in his opening statement. "The people in this room just made it so much easier to say goodbye to Edinboro. I’m happy to be here; I think we can do great things here. I’ve already mentioned the people — the people make the place. Obviously, the facilities, the school and academic side is awesome here, but the biggest selling point that we have here, I think, is the people that are here. I want to thank everybody that was a part of that and spent time with me during the process."

Flynn already hired two assistants in Cliff Moore, a longtime assistant with him at Edinboro, and Mitchell Port, an All-American during Flynn’s tenure at Edinboro.

As far as looking forward, I’m excited," Flynn said. "We’re in the Big 12. We’re in a great hotbed of wrestling. I think the sky is the limit. We just need to rally the troops. It’s not a one-man show; I have Cliff Moore, who decided to come with me, and Mitchell Port. A lot of people ask me, ‘Why did you want to bring them?’ It’s the same thing that I’ve been saying —when you have quality people around you, then you can do great things."

Flynn believes the framework for creating a power wrestling program is already here in Morgantown.

"I think to be really successful in wrestling, you need a bigger school in a power-five conference," Flynn said. "Certainly, that’s one. You need the facility, and if any of you have been in a wrestling facility, it’s state-of-the-art, it’s top of the food chain. So, those are two big boxes. The academic piece, there’s so many majors to sell here. That’s a big part of it. The alumni base is there, certainly, that we can go out and rally those guys. Those are a couple of the major ones."

In addition to being a sports writer for the DA, John is a freelance reporter for the Associated Press and the Dominion Post. John is also a writer and editor at the Smoking Musket (WVU's SB Nation community).

(0) comments

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.