West Virginia wide receiver George Campbell celebrates his touchdown with a teammate.

Just minutes after halftime of the Mountaineers’ season opener on Saturday, Florida State transfer George Campbell knew he had made the right decision to transfer to West Virginia over the offseason.

“Great atmosphere, great coaching staff, the environment, the people around here, West Virginia alone is a great place to be, and I’m really having fun here,” Campbell said.

Less than three minutes into the second half, quarterback Austin Kendall passed to Campbell for a 28-yard touchdown, the first of the game for West Virginia. The score helped the Mountaineers take a lead, which they never surrendered for the rest of the day.

While Campbell marked the first Mountaineer touchdown of the season, Tevin Bush also contributed as the spark plug West Virginia needed as the junior set up Campbell’s score with a 41-yard reception to begin the drive.

“Offensive player of the game, four receptions, 74 yards, a touchdown — I talked about this after the game, but one of the most critical plays of the game was the first play of the second half,” Brown said on Tuesday.

West Virginia’s mix of receivers should help the first-year Mountaineer Kendall this season.

After redshirting during his freshman season last year — only seeing playing time in four games — Sam James is looking to leave his mark, which he has done at various levels.

In high school, James was an honorable mention Georgia Class 6A All-State selection by the Georgia Sports Writers Association, as well as a member of the 2-6A All-Region first team in Georgia.

Sean Ryan’s story is a little different as the Brooklyn, New York, native saw action in 11 games at Temple last season, finishing with 12 catches for 162 yards and one touchdown.

Campbell has seen rock bottom in his last few years on the football field before coming to Morgantown.

The Clearwater, Florida, native had a limited freshman year in 2015 before being redshirted the next season. In 2017, Campbell suffered a season-ending injury which limited the sophomore to four games.

“It’s been tough, but the one thing that you can do is keep your head high and keep praying to God and look forward and keep moving on, and I’m finally at a spot where I feel great,” Campbell said.