Dontae Wright headshot

Dontae Wright.

Dontae Wright has been hired as West Virginia's new outside linebackers coach, head coach Neal Brown announced on Tuesday.

Wright will fill the hole left by the departure of Al Pogue, who joined Auburn's coaching staff earlier this month. 

“Dontae is an excellent addition to our coaching staff and comes highly recommended,” Brown said in a statement. “He brings years of defensive experience and has an ability to recruit with success in different areas of the country. I was impressed with his leadership and player development at each of his stops. We are looking forward to Dontae joining the Mountaineer Football program.”

Prior to coming to WVU, Wright served as the safeties coach at Western Michigan for the previous two seasons. He has also served in a variety of roles at schools such as Tennessee Tech, Morehead State and North Alabama.

A native of Louisa, Kentucky, Wright attended Miami University in Ohio. He played linebacker for the RedHawks from 2003-06.

“This is an unbelievable opportunity for me to be a member of Neal Brown’s staff, work with a great group of players and be a part of a program with the tradition of West Virginia University,” Wright said in a statement. “I’m looking forward to competing against the best in the conference, competing against the best in the nation in recruiting and assisting everyone in the football building to elevate our program."