With week one of the NFL fast approaching, 21 former WVU football players survived preseason cuts to make it onto NFL team rosters.

gary jennings Oklahoma university

Wide Receiver Gary Jennings making a run for the end zone after catching the ball.

Several former Mountaineers have cracked NFL rosters and are looking for a chance to impress in the pros this season. Five of those players are picks from this past NFL draft; quarterback Will Grier, offensive lineman Yodny Cajuste, wide receiver Gary Jennings, tight end Trevon Wesco and linebacker David Long Jr.

After two stellar years leading the Mountaineer offense, Grier slid into the third round where he was taken 100th overall by the Carolina Panthers. Grier is listed as the Panthers’ third string QB behind starter Cam Newton and backup Kyle Allen.

Will Grier adjusting his helmet strap before his play.

Cajuste is listed on the Patriots’ physically unable to perform list, Jennings is part of an inexperienced receiving corps in Seattle, Wesco may see some playing time early with the Jets as the team’s primary tight end is suspended and Long made the active roster in Tennessee.

After sliding out of the draft completely, wide receiver David Sills V signed as an undrafted free agent with the Buffalo Bills. Sills was cut from the Bills before signing on to the New York Giants’ practice squad.

Five former Mountaineers are currently projected to be starters on their teams. Quinton Spain at left guard for the Bills, Mark Glowinski at right guard for the Indianapolis Colts, Bruce Irvin at outside linebacker for the Panthers, Daryl Worley at cornerback for the Oakland Raiders and Karl Joseph at strong safety also for the Raiders.

While not specifically a starter, former Mountaineer superstar receiver Tavon Austin figures to play a role on the Dallas Cowboys’ offense. Austin scored two touchdowns for the Cowboys in his first year with the team in 2018 while also returning punts.

Austin’s QU while at WVU, Geno Smith, won the backup job in Seattle, behind Russell Wilson.