The West Virginia football team did not waste any time showing who the worse team was on Saturday, getting knocked off by Texas Tech, 38-17. 

In the first quarter, the West Virginia defense surrendered touchdowns on each of Texas Tech’s opening five drives.

“They came out and clearly had a good plan,” WVU head coach Neal Brown said. “I didn’t think we handled the tempo very well at all. I didn’t think we played with the same sense of urgency upfront.”

Texas Tech (4-5, 2-4 Big 12) immediately came out firing as Ta’Zhawn Henry rushed in from two yards out following a five-minute drive. The scoring drive was highlighted by a pair of Jett Duffey passes to Erik Ezukanma for 14 and 24 yards. 

The Mountaineers struck next on a Casey Legg 30-yard field goal which cut the West Virginia deficit to 7-3. Quarterback Austin Kendall helped set up the field goal with a pair of first-down pass completions to Sam James and George Campbell. 

It did not take very long for the Red Raiders to stretch their lead even further as Duffey fired a pass to Dalton Rigdon for 81 yards. The touchdown gave Texas Tech the 14-3 advantage. 

Henry found the end zone for the second time on the day when the sophomore rushed in from four yards out, giving the Red Raiders their third touchdown of the first quarter. The sophomore running back put the Mountaineers in scoring position with a trio of rushes on the drive. 

The second quarter opened with a quick one-yard rushing touchdown from SaRodorick Thompson following a slew of passes delivered from Duffey throughout the scoring drive. 

West Virginia (3-6, 1-5) used some trickery to notch their first touchdown on the day as Kendall threw a backward pass to Isaiah Esdale, who then threw it to Kennedy McKoy deep down the sideline for a 24-yard touchdown and the 28-10 deficit. 

Thompson then found the end zone for the second time of the day on the very next drive with a two-yard rushing touchdown for the Red Raiders. 

As the West Virginia defense experiences some mishaps in the opening half, the Mountaineer offense caused the mess in the second half. 

“I’m worried every week, at the same time we don’t have very many guys. We can’t practice for very long. This wasn’t a deal where the guys checked out and didn’t practice all week,” Brown said. 

A late third quarter fumble knocked out of the hands of Winston Wright was recovered by TTU's Jordyn Brooks at the 49-yard line and returned 19 yards to the 30-yard line. 

The very next West Virginia drive concluded with an interception by Texas Tech's DaMarcus Fields in the end zone before returning the ball to the 34-yard line. The play before the interception resulted in a 47-yard pass to Sam James down to the 17-yard line. 

West Virginia backup quarterback Jarret Doege then entered the game following the interception and played the rest of the game. 

“I thought he did some good things. The same things that plagued Jarret are the same things that plagued Austin," Brown said. "I wish quarterback was our problem because that’s an easy fix."

The Red Raiders were not finished scoring however as Duffey led his offense down to the 24-yard line where Trey Wolff was able to knock down a field goal for the 38-10 advantage. 

Doege contributed a touchdown to the West Virginia effort with seconds remaining in regulation as the quarterback found Tony Mathis for a nine-yard check down pass which resulted in a score and a 38-17 deficit. 

Next week, the Mountaineers will travel to Manhattan, Kansas, as they take on the Kansas State Wildcats. Kickoff from Bill Snyder Family Stadium will come at 3:30 p.m., and will be broadcast on the ESPN family of networks.