Sports

This week, the spotlight falls on redshirt junior Jillian Forsey for being named Big 12 Runner of the Week.

Forsey earned this title by coming in first place and bringing home the win for the Mountaineers at the Texas Tech Invitational, on Sept. 8. She was also named WVU Student Athlete of the Week. She also became the second WVU runner in history to be named Big 12 Runner of the Week.

The redshirt junior is from Stephenville, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. She attended Stephenville High School, where she ran under Coach Ray Will.

Forsey also competed in cross-country skiing. While she found success in both sports, she knew she could only choose one to compete at the collegiate level.

She was Newfoundland Provincial Cross Country Champion in the 800m, 1500m and 3000m run for six consecutive years. Forsey also competed for Canada at the World Cross Country Championships.

This is where Forsey knew she would take her talents to the collegiate level.

"Ultimately running was my first love," Forsey said. "I saw more opportunities in running than skiing, but it was a tough decision."

Her career at WVU started off strong with a successful 2013 freshman year. She was named to the All Mid-Atlantic Region Team after finishing in 25th place at the NCAA Mid-Atlantic Region Meet. In her first Big 12 Championship in 2013, she had a 25th place finish with a time of 21:34. She was also named to the Academic All-Big 12 Rookie Team.

Coming off of a successful freshman year, her sophomore season did not disappoint.

Some of many accomplishments include being named USTFCCCA All-American and Capital One Academic All-America Third Team. Forsey also finished top 10 at the IAAF World Junior Track and Field Championship.

She came in second overall with a time of 20:18 at the NCAA Mid-Atlantic Regional, where she earned All Mid-Atlantic Region honors. Forsey did all of this while maintaining a 4.0 GPA.

Due to an injury, Forsey sat out last season, but she plans to make up lost time this season. She is having a phenomenal start, coming in first place and collecting a team win at her first meet of the season in Lubbock, T.X.

"The Texas Tech Invitational was a good start to the season," Forsey said. "Early season races are great for seeing where our fitness is and what we can improve on for the rest of the season. This was a really good opportunity to preview the Big 12 Championship course, which will help our team when we go back in October."