cancun challenge

Cancun Challenge

The WVU men’s basketball team will play in four games as a part of the 2019 Cancun Challenge, the athletic department announced in a release on Wednesday.

West Virginia will head to Cancun, Mexico, on Nov. 26 to take on Northern Iowa in the first round. It will be the first matchup in history between the two teams.

Regardless of the result against Northern Iowa, West Virginia would then take on either South Carolina or Wichita State. 

Having played four games against each other in history, the Gamecocks have only defeated WVU once. A matchup against South Carolina would pit coach Frank Martin against WVU coach Bob Huggins. Martin served as an assistant under Huggins at Kansas State during the 2006-07 season.

The Mountaineers have never faced off against Wichita State, but the Shockers do feature Teddy Allen on their roster — a former WVU forward who transferred following the 2017-18 season.

Prior to their stint in Mexico, the Mountaineers will take on Northern Colorado — who they have never faced — in Morgantown on Nov. 18. 

A contest against Boston University will end the American stint as they travel to the Coliseum on Nov. 22.

This will be the Mountaineers’ second appearance in the Cancun Challenge. Huggins brought WVU to the event in November 2013 and picked up a win against Old Dominion before losing to Wisconsin in the championship game.