The Mountaineer golf team opened up its spring season with a win over the Connecticut Huskies Saturday in Kissimmee, Florida.

Led by top scoring junior Matthew Sharpstene, who shot an impressive one-under par at 71, the Mountaineers were able to defeat the Huskies by 10 strokes. Two Mountaineers, freshman Nico Lang and junior Mark Goetz, weren’t far behind as they tied for second place at one-over par for a score of 73. 

As a team, the Mountaineers shot a seven-over par score of 295, which was good enough to defeat the Huskies in the first head-to-head matchup between the two programs since the WVU golf team was reinstated in 2015.

The Huskies fell behind the Mountaineers early, eventually carding a team score of 305 — 17 over-par. 

UConn was led by Jared Nelson at one-over par (73), good enough for a tie for second place, and Finn Boynton, who shot four-over par (76), good enough for fifth place. Drake Hull and Rodrigo Sanchez shot a 78, six-over par, which placed them in a tie for sixth. WVU’s junior Logan Perkins also shot a 78, six-over for a share of sixth. 

Senior Phillipp Matlari and Sophomore Kurtis Grant also played for the Mountaineers today, tying for ninth with a score of 79, seven-over par.

“I'm really proud of the guys today," WVU golf coach Sean Covich said. "The conditions were tough. There was a strong wind from the north all day and unseasonably cold temperatures. It certainly was a battle for both teams. Hopefully we learned what we need to work on before heading to the Gator Invitational in a few weeks."

The golf team looks to carry the momentum into its next event, as the Mountaineers participate in the Florida Gator Invitational on Feb. 15-16 in Gainesville, Florida.