Over the weekend, the West Virginia golf team participated in the Florida Gators Invitational in Gainesville, Florida. The Mountaineers finished sixth overall as a team after the two-day event concluded. 

As a team, WVU finished with a score of 16-over par in the tournament while the Florida Gators won the tournament with a 12-under par performance. 

In addition to an overall positive team performance, West Virginia head coach Sean Covich was proud of the strong effort put forth by junior Logan Perkins.

“I'm proud of our golfers for continuing to battle today,” Covich said. "I'm very happy for Logan after a fantastic two days of golf.”

Perkins finished in second place individually for the tournament after scoring a program record-low 62 on Saturday. On Sunday, Perkins shot a 71 to finish one over par for the afternoon and five-under for the tournament overall. 

Junior Mark Goetz finished the tournament tied for 31st after finishing with a six-over par score. Senior Philipp Matlari finished in 37th place after shooting a 74 on the final day, finishing with a score of seven-over in the tournament. 

Junior Matthew Sharpstene struggled throughout the weekend with a 72 and 78 on Saturday. He played well on Sunday, finishing with a 72 to be two-over par on the day. Sharpstene placed 56th individually at 12-over par. 

The next event for West Virginia will be Feb. 22-23 in Tallahassee, Florida, in the Seminole Intercollegiate. Last season, the Mountaineers finished tied for third place in the tournament.