Kysre Gondrezick and Tynice Martin combined for 45 points to lead the No. 19 West Virginia women’s basketball team over the Texas Longhorns, 68-63, Sunday afternoon. 

WVU started the game scoring the first seven points but, by the end of the quarter, Texas was able to get on the board and keep the game within grasp at 17-10. 

Texas cut the West Virginia (13-1, 3-0 Big 12) lead to as little as one point in the second quarter before the Mountaineers finished the first half on a 17-6 run to lead by 11 at the break. 

In the first half, West Virginia shot 52% from the field with Gondrezick and Martin leading the way with 11 and 10 points, respectively. Texas shot 37% from the field but forced 11 WVU turnovers.

Trailing by 11 in the third quarter, Texas (9-6, 1-2) came alive, outscoring West Virginia 25-13 to lead by one going into the fourth quarter. WVU began the fourth quarter scoring the first five points to regain the 52-48 lead at the eight-minute mark. 

The Mountaineers went scoreless for nearly five minutes to allow the Longhorns to gain a 56-52 lead with three minutes remaining. 

With 1:24 left, Texas led 61-58. West Virginia finished the game on a 10-2 run to secure its third Big 12 win of the season. 

Martin led all scorers with 23 points while going 9-of-11 from the free-throw line. Gondrezick ended the game with 21 points as she went 3-of-7 from three-point range.

Sug Sutton led the Longhorns with 18 points. Charli Collier scored 11 points and grabbed seven rebounds, finishing second on the team in scoring for the game.  

West Virginia finished the game shooting 42% from the field and 56% from the free-throw line. Texas shot 37% from the field and 67% from the free-throw line.

With the victory, West Virginia is currently No. 1 in the Big 12.

Up next, the Mountaineers host the Oklahoma Sooners on Wednesday. The game is scheduled to tip at 7 p.m. at the WVU Coliseum.