In the second game of the 2019-20 season, the West Virginia women’s basketball team easily defeated the Presbyterian Blue Hose in a physical game, where the Mountaineers used rebounding to pull away in the second half. 

The Mountaineers had a slow start to the game in the first quarter, where they shot three-for-14 from the field and only held an 11-4 lead. They were able to pick up some momentum with the help of rebounding and foul shots, extending their lead to 26-15 at the half.

“There are a lot of things we can work on, being more aggressive and being more patient,” West Virginia head coach Mike Carey said. “I thought that today, at stretches, our defense was pretty good. I told the players that I thought they played pretty well defensively. They were doubling down, so it was good to see.”

WVU came out at the beginning of the second half shooting very well from behind the arc and continued that theme throughout the rest of the half, using the jump shots and foul line to extend their lead en route to a 56-40 win. 

The team was led in scoring by junior Kysre Gondrezick, who shot eight-of-16 from the field and four-of-eight from three-point range, scoring 20 points on the day. Sophomore Madisen Smith was second in scoring for the team, with nine points on the day. Smith also led the team in assists with five. 

Turnovers were a consistent problem for the Mountaineers as they committed a total of 26, leading to 16 points for Presbyterian.

“Today, they were spreading us, we looked horrible offensively, no efficiency. Every time we threw it inside, we turned it over,'' Carey said.

The next game for the Mountaineers is Sunday against Radford at the Beckley-Raleigh County Convention Center in Beckley. Tipoff is at 2 p.m.