The substantial amount of snow that the Morgantown area - and most of the Mid-Atlantic region - received this past weekend, as a result of Winter Storm Jonas, affected a number of West Virginia University athletic events.

The gymnastics meet against William & Mary was closed to the public, the rifle team’s match against Navy was postponed and even the hockey team’s away game against Slippery Rock was postponed.

Video clips of a number of WVU athletics teams managed to go viral on the Internet over the weekend as a result of the storm, the most circulated of which is a short clip of two WVU swimmers diving from chairs into two feet of snow, wearing nothing but their swimming Speedo and "swimming" in the snow.

The clip started off being circulated by WVU students on social media, but it was soon picked up by national sports media outlets, including Bleacher Report, ESPN and SportsCenter and USA Today and posted on their respective social media accounts.

In addition to the WVU swim team’s clip, the WVU hockey team also managed to go viral. With its game against Slippery Rock postponed and classes cancelled, the Mountaineers shoveled snow off of a small, frozen trout pond in Cheat Lake and played hockey on the pond’s frozen ice. The photos of the Mountaineers’ wintry perseverance were retweeted by the NHL on NBC’s official Twitter account to their 289,000-plus followers.

"Some view snow as a problem. We view it as a solution! (stick tap @WVUHockey)," tweeted the NHL on NBC.

Video clips of WVU students skiing and snowboarding around town, some while being attached to trucks with rope and pulled around the snow-covered roads, circulated over the weekend as well.

Although the record-breaking snowfall shut down area businesses, schools and even the University for a number of days, people were able to utilize winter sports as a way to have fun.

With the West Virginia hockey team’s season winding down, the Mountaineers are setting their sights on CHMA (College Hockey Mid-America) postseason play.

They take to the ice again at 8:15 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 29 at Indiana University of Pennsylvania at S&T Bank Arena in Indiana, Pennsylvania. They will return home the following day to face John Carroll University in a crucial CHMA conference matchup 4 p.m. at the Morgantown Ice Center.