The No. 22 West Virginia baseball team suffered a loss to the Kansas State Wildcats on Saturday evening as the Mountaineers were defeated by an 8-6 final score.

Despite a home run by sophomore infielder Tyler Doanes in the top of the first inning, a five-run bottom of the first gave the Wildcats an early advantage that WVU was unable to overcome.

Kansas State (25-27, 8-12 Big 12) was able to get to West Virginia sophomore starting pitcher Jackson Wolf early as a three-run homer, RBI triple and RBI sacrifice fly dug a four-run hole early for the Mountaineers.

West Virginia (30-18, 12-11 Big 12) was able to somewhat mend the gap as they added two runs: a solo home run off of the bat of sophomore designated hitter Paul McIntosh in the second and a score off of a wild pitch in the third.

Following two more home runs for the Wildcats, the Mountaineers were facing a five-run deficit.

Come the top of the sixth inning, West Virginia began to rally as, with two runners on base, junior infielder Marques Inman drove in a run off of an RBI single. That was followed up by an RBI double from McIntosh and a throwing error that scored Inman from third base.

Although the Mountaineers were able to shrink the Kansas State advantage to only two runs, West Virginia was held scoreless for the rest of the game. Following the sixth inning, WVU did not have a single hit.

The two teams wrap up their series on Sunday afternoon. First pitch from Tointon Family Stadium in Manhattan, Kansas comes at noon.