Koshinski

The Mountaineer Gymnastics team most recently defeated two rivals in one meet, taking down Pitt and Maryland last Sunday and earning a new season high score of 196.255.

A huge contributor to that new high score and any victory this season is junior gymnast, Kirah Koshinski.

A Berwick, Pa. native, Koshinski is continuously making improvements in her practices and meets to solidify her position on the team and aims to work her way up to being one of the strongest all-around gymnasts the Mountaineers have ever had on their roster.

"I feel like I’ve been doing pretty good, I just need to fix the little things here and there to really put everything together and to reach a consistent point this season," Koshinski said. "I am working to try and do bars so I just keep trying really hard to continue my journey to be able to be an all-around."

On vault, Koshinski has recorded a score of 9.9 or better 11 times, ranking No. 5 in program history.

In vault, beam and floor combined, she has notched a 9.9 or better twenty times and currently stands at No. 7 in the program’s history with the rest of this season and next year awaiting her.

As a freshman, she became the first Mountaineer to receive an All-America regular season honor and was placed on the All-America Vault Second Team.

Koshinski currently ranks No. 11 in the nation on vault, jumping up three spots this week and maintaining an average vault score of 9.875. In the region, she is ranked No. 3.

In addition to her hard work on the gymnastics team, Koshinski is also a dedicated student, having made Dean’s List repeatedly and receiving numerous Big 12 academic honors while also receiving recognition for her

high scores.

Koshinski says the main thing that keeps her motivated in the gym and in the classroom is her family.

"My family is really supportive, and I know that I can always go to them for anything, so it’s really comforting to have that support system behind you when the days may not go the way you want them to."

Koshinski and the No. 29-ranked Mountaineers are back in action this Friday as they travel to Norman, Okla., for a Big 12 matchup against the top-ranked Oklahoma Sooners, who are currently averaging an overall score of 197.638. The meet is scheduled for a 7:45 p.m. start.