smith and niblack

Jan. 16, 2019; Madisen Smith and Kari Niblack celebrate after a victory over Iowa State.

Thanks to a last second score from senior forward Naomi Davenport, the WVU women’s basketball team was able to pick up a win against the Texas Tech Red Raiders on Wednesday, 75-72

With the win, the Mountaineers (17-6, 8-4 Big 12) have won five of their last six games.

Freshman guard Madisen Smith led the Mountaineers to their fifth win in their last six games, ending the night with 20 points on eight-of-14 shooting, five rebounds and four assists while playing all 40 minutes.

Of Smith’s total points on the night, eight came in the first half — contributing to the halftime lead of 39-35 that the Mountaineers held over the Red Raiders heading to the locker room.

In the second half, Texas Tech rallied and eventually retook the lead and both teams would trade it throughout the last few minutes of the game.

Having trailed by five points at one point during the final three minutes, West Virginia was able to up the ante on offense as scores from Davenport and freshman forward Jala Jordan cut the deficit while a second Davenport score put the Mountaineers ahead by one. Junior guard Tynice Martin added two free throws with less than ten seconds on the clock after intentional fouls from Texas Tech to take a 75-72 lead.

TTU’s Sydney Goodson’s last second three-pointer came up short and WVU escaped Lubbock with a win.

Attributed to a strong defensive effort, the Mountaineers were able to hold the Red Raider offense scoreless through the final two and a half minutes, while going on a 8-0 run of their own.

On the Texas Tech (11-13, 2-11 Big 12) side of the ball, guards Goodson and Chrislyn Carr each contributed 15 points toward the Red Raiders’ effort. Erin DeGrate led the game with 11 rebounds.

West Virginia returns to Morgantown to host TCU on Saturday. The Mountaineers fell to the Horned Frogs, 62-48, in Fort Worth on Jan. 2 to open conference play.

The matchup between the two Big 12 expansion cousins will mark WVU’s annual Pink Game and will tip off at 2 p.m. and will air on AT&T SportsNet and FS1.

(0) comments

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.