No. 15 Oklahoma State scored two first half goals to get a 2-1 road victory against West Virginia on Thursday night. 

This was the second straight top-25 opponent and sixth overall for WVU on the season as the Mountaineers have still not gotten a ranked victory. 

The game started off as a defensive battle, but the Cowgirls opened it up with a goal from Kim Rodriguez in the 13th minute. 

Fifteen minutes later, Oklahoma State (11-1-3, 3-1-1 Big 12) scored again. This time, it was Grace Yochum with an assist from Olyvia Dowell. It was the eighth goal of the season for Yochum, moving her into a tie for fourth in the conference.

West Virginia head coach Nikki Izzo-Brown was disappointed with the early opportunities for Oklahoma State despite the strong second half resurgence from WVU. 

“I’m frustrated that we conceded that early goal,” said Izzo-Brown. “I don’t think the first half was our best performance and we did turn it around in the second.”

Freshman midfielder Juliana Lynch scored her first career goal as a Mountaineer to put WVU on the board with under eight minutes left in regulation. Jordan Brewster nearly tied the game with three minutes left, but her shot was deflected high by Oklahoma State goalkeeper Dani Greenlee to seal the game, 2-1. 

The loss dropped West Virginia even farther back in the Big 12 standings with only four games remaining in the regular season. Oklahoma State remains near the top of the conference standings.

West Virginia (7-6-1, 2-3) did have the advantage in shots overall with 13, including eight on goal. Oklahoma State totaled nine shots with four on goal. 

With the loss, WVU dropped its first match against OK State in program history. The Mountaineers are now 9-1-0 all time against the Cowgirls.

West Virginia returns to Dick Dlesk Soccer Stadium on Sunday with a critical match against the Oklahoma Sooners. The match is scheduled to kick off at 3 p.m. and will be televised on ESPNU.