Riding a streak of two straight victories into Austin, Texas, the WVU women’s basketball team was able to continue to rise by defeating the No. 12 Texas Longhorns on Monday night, 64-58.

The win was the first for the Mountaineers over Texas since the 2016-17 season as the Longhorns came out on top in each of the previous four matchups.

“Give our girls credit,” WVU head coach Mike Carey said postgame. “This was our fourth game in eight days. With the numbers we have and the effort they gave today, I’m very proud of them.”

From the opening tip off, West Virginia (15-5, 6-3 Big 12) was able to rush out ahead and grab the lead. Led primarily by redshirt junior guard Tynice Martin, who had 16 points in the first quarter alone on seven-of-eight shooting, the Mountaineers were able to end the quarter with a 19-4 run.

While Martin may have slightly cooled off as the game progressed into the second quarter, the Mountaineer offense continued to fire on all cylinders. With West Virginia converting 52 percent of their field goals and 57 percent of their three point attempts during the first half, the Mountaineers headed into halftime with a 38-27 lead.

Coming out for the second half, the success continued for WVU. Thanks to two straight three-pointers by senior forward Naomi Davenport, West Virginia was able to build a game-high 14 point lead in the third quarter.

As Texas attempted to battle back from the deficit, not much was working on their end of the floor. It wasn’t until the fourth quarter in which the Longhorns began to draw it close, eventually coming within two points of the Mountaineers.

Despite narrowing the gap, the Longhorns (17-4, 7-2) were unable to overtake WVU in the score column, giving the Mountaineers the victory.

The Longhorns finished the game connecting on only 37 percent of their attempted field goals. Although they edged out the Mountaineers in total rebounds 40-27, Texas finished behind WVU in total assists and three-pointers made.

For the Mountaineers, Martin finished with 27 points on nine-for-18 shooting from the field, while also going seven-of-10 from the free throw line. WVU also received a strong game from Davenport as the Cincinnati, Ohio native contributed 15 points and three rebounds to West Virginia’s effort.

“When she gets it going, she can score in volumes,” Carey said about Martin. “She had it going there for a while.”

After playing in four games in nine days, the Mountaineers will have a well-needed break as their next matchup takes place on Sunday afternoon against Kansas. The 3 p.m. tip off from the WVU Coliseum will be broadcast on AT&T SportsNet.