The West Virginia men’s basketball team kept their unbeaten record intact, defeating the Boston University Terriers, 69-44, at the WVU Coliseum Friday night.

The Mountaineers (4-0) used a big run to start the first and second halves to extend their lead and take control.

Before the first media timeout, WVU already owned an 11-0 lead, on their way to taking a 23-5 lead midway through the half.  

Boston University (3-3) got two threes in a row from sophomore Walter Whyte and then another three by sophomore Jonas Harper to cut the lead to single digits at 23-14.

With a 36-23 halftime lead, the Mountaineers came out hot, scoring eight straight and forcing a timeout from the Terriers.

Boston had a quick spurt and cut the lead to 48-30 and forced the Mountaineers to call timeout with around 14 minutes remaining.  Senior Logan Routt came out and scored two baskets out of the timeout and the West Virginia lead wouldn’t dip under 20 for the rest of the game.

Freshman Oscar Tshiebwe recorded his second double-double of the season with 21 points and 10 rebounds while shooting 10-of-13 from the field.  He also posted two blocks and three steals.

Senior Jermaine Haley continued his solid start to the season, finishing with 13 points on 5-of-6 shooting from the field and 3-of-4 from the free throw line.

Rounding out the Mountaineers with double-digit points was sophomore Derek Culver, who had 10.

Arkansas transfer Gabe Osabuohien got his first action of the season after having his transfer waiver approved earlier this week.  He did not score, taking only one shot but registering two rebounds and a steal in 14 minutes of action.

“He was really bad today,” West Virginia head coach Bob Huggins said after the game. “I think he went too fast.  I think he was too anxious, but you kind of expect that.

“Quite frankly, we haven’t spent as much time with him.  We’re trying to work with Derek, we’re trying to work with Logan, we’re trying to work with Oscar, and he’s there and he’s getting reps, but you don’t have as many eyes on him as you do on those other guys.”

WVU shot a season low from the three-point line, hitting only 2-of-18 shots (11%).  Overall, the Mountaineers shot 44% from the field.

“We haven’t made shots,” Huggins said.  “I think some of it is mechanics. Some of it is balance.  Some of it may be just (that) they haven’t been getting as many shots up as what they normally get up.”

WVU had a 37-32 rebounding advantage and held the Terriers to 33% shooting from the field and 30% from three.  The Mountaineers also forced 22 turnovers while only committing 10.

Coming up, WVU will head to Mexico to complete the final two games of the Cancun Challenge, beginning with a Tuesday night matchup with the Northern Iowa Panthers at 8:30 p.m.  The game will be televised on the CBS Sports Network.