The 2019 season of the West Virginia men’s soccer team officially came to an end on Sunday afternoon.

Taking on No. 11 Marshall in the second round of the 2019 NCAA Tournament, the Mountaineers fell to the Thundering Herd by a final score of 2-1.

In the first matchup between the two teams since 2004, it was Marshall that was able to get on the board first as junior forward Jamil Roberts was able to beat WVU goalkeeper Steven Tekesky in the game’s 10th minute for the 1-0 advantage.

It wasn’t until the 39th minute when West Virginia was able to counter. Off an assist from Albert Andres-Llop, senior defender Logan Lucas was able to find the back of the Marshall net for his first goal of the season.

The lead was short-lived however as, four minutes later, the Thundering Herd broke the tie with a goal from Milo Yosef, giving Marshall the 2-1 lead going into halftime.

Come the second half, tensions began to run high. Luke McCormick and Rodrigo Robles Grajera of WVU and Carlos Diaz-Salcedo of Marshall each received a yellow card. 

Despite getting off five shots in the second half, the Mountaineers were unable to score again, ultimately falling by the 2-1 score.

Statistically, Marshall outperformed West Virginia for most of the game. In addition to the win, the Thundering Herd emerged with more total shots, more shots on goal and more corner kicks.

West Virginia’s season is over, while Marshall will move on to the third round to take on either Boston College or Washington.