West Virginia forward Emmitt Matthews Jr. leads a team huddle when facing off against Pitt at the Petersen Events Center on Nov. 15, 2019.

On Monday night, the West Virginia men’s basketball team will take on the Northern Colorado Bears in the first meeting between the two programs in history.

With a win, the Mountaineers will start a season with a 3-0 record for the first time since the 2016-17 season.

West Virginia (2-0) will come into the matchup just days removed from a 68-53 win over rival Pitt.

In picking up the victory, the Mountaineers featured a double-double performance from freshman forward Oscar Tshiebwe, who turned in an effort of 20 points and 17 rebounds at the game’s end. To date this season, Tshiebwe is WVU’s leading rebounder with 11 per game.

Sophomore forward Emmitt Matthews Jr. finished the Pitt game with 17 points in 29 minutes, nestling him into position as the team’s leading scorer. Through two games this season, Matthews is averaging 17.5 points per game.

In Northern Colorado (2-2), the Mountaineers are taking on a team that is looking to turn things around after falling to Northern Iowa on Saturday.

Led by fourth-year head coach Jeff Linder, the Bears finished last season with a 21-11 record and a second place finish in the Big Sky Conference.

This season, guard Bodie Hume has been the team’s offensive strength as the sophomore leads the team with an average of 17.5 points per game. Four others average double digits.

Around the rim, senior forward Kai Edwards (7.8 per game) and redshirt senior guard Jonah Radebaugh (7.5) are the team’s leading rebounders.

Defensively, Radebaugh paces the team with an average of two steals per game. Sophomore Kur Jockuch averages one block per game.

Part of the Cancun Challenge, Monday’s game will tip off at 7 p.m. from the WVU Coliseum in Morgantown. The game will be broadcast on AT&T SportsNet.