The West Virginia men’s basketball team went on the road and fell to the Oklahoma Sooners 69-59, dropping the Mountaineers to 1-4 on the road in Big 12 play.

The Mountaineers (18-5, 6-4 Big 12) have only one win away from the WVU Coliseum during conference play, a 55-41 victory against the Oklahoma State Cowboys in early January.

In the first half, WVU got off to a good start by taking a 14-9 lead with just under 12 minutes to play.  Oklahoma (15-8, 5-5) responded quickly, with senior Kristian Doolittle going off for 14 points to lead the Sooners to a 31-24 halftime lead.  He ended the afternoon with 27 points on 9-of-15 while going 7-of-7 from the free throw line. He also had 12 rebounds.

The second half did not go very well either for WVU as Oklahoma opened up as much as an 18-point lead at 59-41 with six minutes remaining in the game.  WVU wouldn’t go away, however, going on an 8-0 spurt to cut the lead to 10. The lead would get down to eight, but the Mountaineers could not get it any closer.

Senior Jermaine Haley led the Mountaineers with 15 points.  He shot 6-of-14 from the field and also grabbed five rebounds.

The only other Mountaineer in double figures was freshman Oscar Tshiebwe, with 12 points.  He did have a tough time from the field, shooting only 5-of-16. Tshiebwe had nine rebounds, tying sophomore Derek Culver for the team lead. 

WVU has led the Big 12 in field goal defense this season but continued to struggle holding teams down when on the road.  The Sooners shot 45% from the field and 47% from three-point range. They also went 18-of-21 from the free throw line at an 86% rate.

The Mountaineer have also struggled in the turnover category this season, but only had 11 today compared to 19 for the Sooners.

Oklahoma also had a 42 to 41 advantage on the glass.

The Mountaineers will return home to face the No. 3 Kansas Jayhawks on Wednesday at 7 p.m.  The game will be a gold rush and can be streamed on Big 12 Now as a part of ESPN+.