Oscar Tshiebwe 11/1/19

Freshman forward Oscar Tshiebwe prepares to attempt a free throw in an exhibition against Duquesne on Nov. 1, 2019 at the WVU Coliseum.

As the second-ever McDonald’s All-American to commit to West Virginia, Oscar Tshiebwe joins the men’s basketball team facing high expectations.

On Friday, Tshiebwe gave a preview of what WVU fans can expect from him this season. During the team’s exhibition against Duquesne, Tshiebwe finished with a double-double, scoring 17 points and grabbing 14 rebounds.

Head coach Bob Huggins said that Tshiebwe did everything Huggins expected he could do.

“He does what everybody knew he could do, he rebounds it and scores around the rim, he misses free throws, we all knew what he could do,” Huggins said. “He’ll get better and better, you’re talking about a guy who’s been in the country for three years and has played basketball for two.”

Tshiebwe said he was just excited to get out on the court and play against someone other than his own teammates.

“That was great, I was excited to play my first college game,” Tshiebwe said. “College is just a different level. At this level, to play basketball, you’ve got to be ready to go.”

Huggins expects Tshiebwe to continually improve, but only if he continues to work hard.

“[He] played in high school and was bigger and stronger and just better than everybody,” Huggins said. “Now he’s got to do things more right than what he had to do before because we’ve got other guys as big and strong as he is.”

WVU’s season begins Friday against the Akron Zips in the WVU Coliseum at 7 p.m.