Feb. 12, 2020: Senior Guard Jermaine Haley tries to battle past Kansas’ Ochai Agbaji

The West Virginia men’s basketball team will come home after a road loss against No. 1 Baylor on Saturday, the latest in three straight games the Mountaineers have dropped.

WVU (18-7, 6-6 Big 12) will be looking to right the ship when the Oklahoma State Cowboys (13-12, 3-9) come to the WVU Coliseum. The Mountaineers defeated the Cowboys earlier this year by a score of 55-41, the lone win away from home in Big 12 play this season for WVU.

The offense continues to be a sore spot this season, with the Mountaineers not being able to total 60 points in their current losing streak. They have been plagued by a combination of poor shooting and turnovers, averaging 42% from the field and 30% from three, while also committing over 15 turnovers per game.

Freshman Oscar Tshiebwe continues to be a bright spot for the team, coming off another double-double with 11 points and 12 rebounds against Baylor. He is averaging 11.6 points per game and 9.2 rebounds per game this season.

One reason the Mountaineers may be struggling is the lack of production from sophomore Derek Culver, who averages 10.3 points per game and 8.5 rebounds per game. In the Mountaineers’ current slide, Culver has not reached double-digit points, putting up four, six, and three points in the team’s last three games.

Culver and Tshiebwe need to be productive inside to open up the team’s outside shooting. Against Baylor, most of the outside production came from junior Taz Sherman, who scored all 20 of his points in the second half while hitting 5-of-9 shots from the three-point line. Only one other player hit a three against Baylor: sophomore Sean McNeil, who only had one.

Oklahoma State is coming off a big upset after defeating No. 24 Texas Tech at home on Saturday. This was after the Red Raiders defeated the Cowboys by 35 in the first meeting between the two teams on Jan. 4.

They are led by two guards in sophomore Isaac Likekele and senior Lindy Waters, both averaging 11.4 points per game. Senior Cameron McGriff rounds out the Cowboys in double digits with 10.5 points per game. McGriff also leads the team in rebounding at 6.8 per game.

Oklahoma State’s best three-point shooter is senior Thomas Dziagwa, who shoots 41% from three to help him to his 8.8 points per game scoring average.

The game on Tuesday is set to tip off at 7 p.m. and will be nationally televised on ESPN2.

Matthew Digby is a senior at WVU majoring in journalism with a minor in sport communication. He has been working at the Daily Athenaeum for one year and is working as the Sports Editor for the first time this fall. He is from Ottawa Lake, Michigan.