A West Virginia men's soccer player attempts to keep the ball away from a Wright State player.

On its home turf for the first time this season, the No. 24 West Virginia men’s soccer team dropped visiting Wright State by a final score of 2-1.

It was a strong offensive attack that helped to lift the Mountaineers ahead of the Raiders as, at the games end, WVU had outshot the Raiders 21-5.

In the game’s 27th minute, West Virginia made it on the board first when senior midfielder Andres Muriel Albino found the back of the net off an assist from freshman forward Rodrigo Robles Grajera.

West Virginia (2-1-0) was able to add another goal before halftime when, in the 32nd minute, senior defender Albert Andres-Llop found Pascal Derwaritsch for a header goal.

Working from behind in the second half, Wright State (1-2-0) attempted to mount a comeback effort. They were able to join the scoreboard in the game’s 71st minute when senior midfielder Stefan Rokvic booted the ball past WVU goalkeeper Steven Tekesky to shrink the deficit.

Unfortunately for the Raiders, the team was only able to get off one more shot in the half, totaling five for the entire 90 minute match.

Wright State also struggled in getting its number of fouls under control as it ended the night with 26 fouls compared to the Mountaineers’ eight. The two teams combined for five yellow cards throughout the night.

West Virginia is off until Tuesday, when the Charlotte 49ers come to Dick Dlesk Soccer Stadium. In the first matchup between the two teams, the opening kick will come at 7 p.m.