wvu vt score

WVU head coach Sammie Henson and his crew of Mountaineer wrestlers traveled to Blacksburg, Virginia to take part in the 21st Black Diamond Brawl against 10th-ranked Virginia Tech. Unfortunately, the Mountaineers dropped their third match of the season, 30-6.

The dual started off in the Mountaineers’ favor with Zeke Moisey. At the 125-pound weight-class, Moisey won his second straight dual match of the season 10-3 on takedowns of Kyle Norstrem.

At the 133-pound weight-class, Matthew Schmitt fell once more to familiar opponent Virginia Tech's Dennis Gustafson, in a 7-1 decision.

WVU (1-3) entered the 141-pound bout tied with Virginia Tech at three. Christian Monserrat fell in a 13-4 major decision, which became padding for a Hokie lead.

At 149, the Mountaineers were looking up once more, behind redshirt freshman Kyler Rea who won a 6-0 decision, which boosted the team score to 6, only one point behind the Hokies, 7-6.

After wins from Moisey and Rea, the Mountaineers ran out of steam. They proceeded to drop 23 straight points, including fifth-ranked Jake Smith at 197 pounds, who dropped a 2-1 bout with Parkersburg-native and third-ranked Jared Haught of Virginia Tech.

Despite the loss, West Virginia still holds a 12-9 all-time series advantage over the Hokies (5-1).

The Mountaineers will return to Morgantown for the holidays. Following the turn of the year, Big 12 conference play begins. West Virginia, 0-1 in the conference, will host Oklahoma on Jan. 4 and North Dakota State on Jan. 7.