The West Virginia golf team looked to continue their hot streak of good play into the Tavistock Collegiate Invitational at Isleworth Golf and Country Club in Windermere, Florida, this past week.

The Mountaineers faced stiff competition, including teams among the likes of California, Illinois, Arizona State, Vanderbilt, No. 1 Texas Tech, Florida, Augusta, Texas, South Carolina, LSU, Auburn, UNLV and the tournament co-host, UCF. 

The first round on Sunday turned out to be a struggle for the Mountaineers. Junior Logan Perkins paced the team, sitting at even par with five birdies and four bogeys. West Virginia as a whole shot a disappointing score of 303 for 15-over-par. 

Junior Matthew Sharpstene struggled early, beginning his round with a few bogeys and a double bogey. While he was able to begin positive play with two birdies on the ninth hole just before the turn to the back nine, Sharpstene ended up shooting two straight triple-bogeys and finished his round with birdies on four more holes to bring him to five-over-par. 

Freshman Nico Lang shot five bogeys, one double-bogey, and three birdies to end his round, leaving him at four-over par. Junior Mark Goetz finished eight-over-par, while senior Etienne Papineau shot six-over-par. 

Monday, the second round of play for WVU, saw the Mountaineers improve upon their frustrating first round of play as they shot ten-strokes better, finishing with a team score of five-over-par on the day which gave them 15th place.

Perkins improved his play from the day before, carding a total score of 147, after starting the day strong with a pair of birdies and one bogey. He stumbled on the last two holes for a bogey and double-bogey, resulting in a tie for 34th place. 

Papineau also improved from the first round, scoring a total of 149, placing him just a stroke behind Perkins tied for 42nd place. 

The final round of play for the Invitational was Tuesday. The Mountaineers, paired with South Carolina, ended the tournament at No. 15 — last place overall — as they shot a final team score of 891. and the Mountaineers found themselves paired with South Carolina. 

Papineau and Perkins led the way West Virginia on the last day, finishing 33rd and 38th with scores of 78-70-72=220 for four-over-par, and 72-75-74=221 for five-over-par, respectively. Both players balanced out after slow starts in the first two rounds of the tournament, while Lang jumped 14 spots from Monday to finish in a tie for 48th with a total score of 223.

Goetz came out of the final day in 74th place, after carding a three-round total of 80-78-78=236, while Sharpstene finished the invitational at seven-over with a score of 77-72-79=228, good enough for 66th place overall.

The next tournament for the Mountaineers is at Royal Ka'anapali Golf Course in Lahaina, Hawaii, for the Ka'anapali Classic Collegiate Invitational on Nov. 1-3.