In the 2018-19 regular season finale on Friday night, the West Virginia Mountaineers club ice hockey team was defeated by the Indiana University of Pennsylvania, falling by a final score of 4-2.

The Mountaineers started off hot when Alex Evans gave West Virginia their only lead of the game with the game’s first score with 7:44 remaining in the first period.

In the beginning of the second, the momentum shifted in favor of the visiting Crimson Hawks. Not even two minutes in to the period, the Mountaineers received a penalty for having too many players on the ice. The Mountaineers held strong until 14:05 remained in the second when the Crimson Hawks evened the score up at 1-1.

The Mountaineers also made a goalie change as Ben Zienty, who finished with 14 saves on the game, was subbed out for Ryan Wickiser.

With 4:50 remaining in the second, the Crimson Hawks take advantage of the goalie substitution and took a 2-1 lead. After securing the lead, IUP never looked back.

Entering the third period, it only took the Crimson Hawks two minutes and 25 seconds to strike once again, taking a 3-1 lead. With 17:09 remaining, Jeremy Judis of WVU was issued a five-minute major penalty and game misconducted. IUP made sure to capitalize on the power play, taking a 4-1 lead with 12:49 left to play.

WVU would score their final goal of the season, courtesy of JP Sawyer, on the power play to cut the lead to the eventual final score of 4-2.

The West Virginia hockey club ice hockey team ends the 2018-19 season with a 4-7-2 record.